Can I temporarily stop verbal instructions?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Can I temporarily stop verbal instructions?

Post by Peobody »

Does anyone know if there is a way to temporarily disable verbal instructions on the XT? I would like to turn them off when I'm on roads that I am familiar with and then enable them when needed. The XT is connected to a Cardo Packtalk Bold so I suspect that I could disconnect the Garmin from within the XT but I don't think it would be possible (practical? safe?) to try to re-sync the two devices while on the move.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I want to maintain intercom communication.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
axil
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Can I temporarily stop verbal instructions?

Post by axil »

Under the Volume menu, you can turn off spoken navigation and spoken alerts.

You can also disable the Headset pairing for the Cardo unit under Bluetooth settings, which will cause spoken directions to play from the speaker in the GPS but not play on the Cardo, but there might be sync issues if you try to reenable it on the fly.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

axil wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm Under the Volume menu, you can turn off spoken navigation and spoken alerts.
Turning off spoken navigation could work if enabling it works mid trip. While looking to see if I could access volume controls from the map I noticed a "Mute" button. There was a discussion awhile back on a Honda Goldwing forum about a nav system on which spoken navigation occurred silently when muted thus interrupting intercom discussions. I'll try Mute button first to see if it works to disable rather than activating silently. If it doesn't disable, I'll try toggling the spoken navigation option in the Volume menu.

Thanks for the advice.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

How are you planning your routes? If you are using basecamp you can turn your via points to shaping points which will stop communication. On the left of the map you will see 2 boxes. The top one is your collection of routes. Open the route you are interested in. In the bottom box is where all your way points, via points and shaping points are. Double click on the route of interest in the lower box and you will see all your points. The ones that are high lighted are via points and will announce when you go over them. These will need to be gone over unless you delete them on your Zumo. The ones that are not high lighted are shaping points. These will not be announced and you can easily miss them and you will not have to go back to go over them.
I turn off the announcements and make all points shaping points unless there is something that must be seen, or a stop of interest. I plan my routes with a lot of points and I don't want to listen to constant directions.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I use Basecamp and am a fan of shaping points but I still get voice instructions for every turn. What I want to get rid of is the turn by turn announcements for getting out of my neighborhood, town, and sometimes for many miles until I reach unfamiliar territory.
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

Can you start and end your routes in the unfamiliar territory? Turn on your GPS when you are getting close to the start. The directions will stop after the last point is given at the end of your ride. I know this is a simplistic approach but might be easier than messing around in the settings.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I suppose I could start the route in unfamiliar territory but I think that is a last resort option. I would prefer not to have to stop in order to open trip planner, locate the trip, then start it (I won't attempt that while moving). Also, on my long trips a lot of the planning takes into consideration fuel range and saddle time. Starting the route 100 miles away because I know the roads to that point adds an additional challenge to the planning for that day. Finally, I often share these routes so would prefer they not contain random starting points.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Peobody wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:22 pm I use Basecamp and am a fan of shaping points but I still get voice instructions for every turn. What I want to get rid of is the turn by turn announcements for getting out of my neighborhood, town, and sometimes for many miles until I reach unfamiliar territory.
It's quite easy to 'mute' your Zumo XT! You can try the following:
  • On the map screen, press the three buttons in the lower right corner
    press the wrench icon on the top left corner
    you're now on the map icons screen and could choose three icons, which will be displayed on your map screen
    click on one of the buttons on the right side
    now you can choose a button to 'mute' your Zumo
    click on the 'Save' button
Back on the map screen you now have a button to quickly mute/unmute the Zumo XT...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks Robert. I am anxious to test the function of the Mute button in regards intercom communications.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

If you've paired your phone to your headset this button on the Zumo will have no effect to intercom...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)