Is Basecamp really as crap as it seems?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
GlobalWalkabout
Australia

Is Basecamp really as crap as it seems?

Post by GlobalWalkabout »

Hey folks,

So I'm running Basecamp on a top of the line Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio computer and literally every time I try to do something, it crashes.. like every. single. time.

Is there any other software that will allow me to put my gpx files on to my XT? because at the current point in time after having had my Xumo XT for two days... I'm ready to send it back to Garmin for a full refund, because I can do things easier and better with my old phone from what I've seen..

I'm kind of stuck right at the moment, and really getting frustrated.

Simon
Simon's GlobalWalkabout

Currently overlanding across Australia
(Season 2)
www.YouTube.com/GlobalWalkabout
www.GlobalWalkabout.net
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Is Basecamp really as crap as it seems?

Post by sussamb »

Something is wrong in your system then as BaseCamp rarely crashes for me and I've been using it for over 10 years on various Windows OS. First thing I'd try is an uninstall then reinstall.

Note too if you have gpx files in the correct format you can simply place them in the GPX folder on your Zumo, no need for any software.
GlobalWalkabout
Australia

sussamb wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:34 am Something is wrong in your system then as BaseCamp rarely crashes for me and I've been using it for over 10 years on various Windows OS. First thing I'd try is an uninstall then reinstall.

Note too if you have gpx files in the correct format you can simply place them in the GPX folder on your Zumo, no need for any software.
It is a fresh install, it was installed today, but for shits and giggles I just reinstalled it and guess what, it did it again, but then again even though it was uninstalled by windows it didn't uninstall all the extra crap that went in to it when the XT was plugged in... all that's been done was to add in one of my gpx files and turn it in to a track or whatever it was that seemed to be needed.. I then plugged my XT in to the computer so that it would sync with it.. and now, if I open basecamp then it instantly freezes... like, I can't even move the window to a different part of my screen.

What do you mean the correct format for a .gpx file? I've exported a gpx file from Gaia GPS and simply transferred it over to the XT, now unless I'm missing something in the translation, a gpx file is a gpx file and doesn't have different formats.. however, I'll admit that I don't know everything about gpx files, and I'm willing to try different things if they need to be done a different way, but Gaia GPS literally let's me export it as a GPX file with no other options to modify a gpx file. but they won't open on it at all, they all stop at 0% and that's as far as I get.
Simon's GlobalWalkabout

(Season 2)
www.GlobalWalkabout.net
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I don't know as I would consider a Microsoft Surface a suitable device to run basecamp.....
What I have read about them is that they are more of a tablet, than a computer, even with a keyboard connected.

As far as the compatibility of .gpx files, there could be something hidden in the file from the export device.

I've had .csv files that were exported from a business application, but could not be opened with Excel...
Determination was made that the software application that created the .csv file was created by a Swedish software engineer, so then when the .csv file is attempted to be opened with Excel in the US, it would fail. Tech support says that there is something about the format that isn't compatible with the US version of Excel. Not a good design for a supposedly international program in the 1st place....(This is not referring to Basecamp)
GlobalWalkabout
Australia

electro_handyman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:38 am I don't know as I would consider a Microsoft Surface a suitable device to run basecamp.....
What I have read about them is that they are more of a tablet, than a computer, even with a keyboard connected.

As far as the compatibility of .gpx files, there could be something hidden in the file from the export device.

I've had .csv files that were exported from a business application, but could not be opened with Excel...
Determination was made that the software application that created the .csv file was created by a Swedish software engineer, so then when the .csv file is attempted to be opened with Excel in the US, it would fail. Tech support says that there is something about the format that isn't compatible with the US version of Excel. Not a good design for a supposedly international program in the 1st place....(This is not referring to Basecamp)
Not sure what sort of Surface you are thinking of.. these are the stats for my laptop...

Code: Select all

Processor	11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz
Installed RAM	32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type	64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch	Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Edition	Windows 11 Home
Version	21H2
Installed on	‎4/‎01/‎2022
OS build	22000.613
It's the TOP OF THE LINE device, not a tablet, but a laptop, designed for things like video editing.. pretty sure, being that it's 3 weeks old it's probably higher spec than most people on this forum are using. :ugeek:

I've exported them from both my phone using Gaia GPS app and from Gaia GPS website on the laptop. Unless there is something else different with the way it's exported, I don't know what it could be hidden in it, is there a specific program that I CAN use to create my route? Because Basecamp can't create the route.. it says the following:

Code: Select all

The trip planner feature is not compatible with the current map. Please either connect your Garmin device to use it's map or select another map to use the trip planner.
So, based on that lovely message.. I plugged in the XT to the computer and opened it's map again.. Oh, and Basecamp crashed..

TBH, unless I can find something that actually works properly, I'm liable to ring Garmin tomorrow and tell them their products suck and tell them they can have it back.. An old phone can do more than this can, and be more reliable and crash less.. :evil:
Simon's GlobalWalkabout

(Season 2)
www.GlobalWalkabout.net
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well whatever is happening it's an issue with your system somewhere as most folks don't have the problem you're having. You could try posting on the Garmin forums or call their Product Support so they can look at your system in detail.
GlobalWalkabout
Australia

sussamb wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm Well whatever is happening it's an issue with your system somewhere as most folks don't have the problem you're having. You could try posting on the Garmin forums or call their Product Support so they can look at your system in detail.
TBH, unless I can find something that actually works properly, I'm liable to ring Garmin tomorrow and tell them their products suck and tell them they can have it back.. An old phone can do more than this can, and be more reliable and crash less.. :evil:
Not sure how my system is not right for it...
The only issue I can see is that I've got to connect the garmin through a usb hub because Garmin in their 20th century wisdom fits a USB Mini to USB A cable when in the 21st century most "NEW" devices have USB C.... which is all I have available..
Simon's GlobalWalkabout

(Season 2)
www.GlobalWalkabout.net
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

GlobalWalkabout wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:44 pm
The only issue I can see is that I've got to connect the garmin through a usb hub because Garmin in their 20th century wisdom fits a USB Mini to USB A cable when in the 21st century most "NEW" devices have USB C.... which is all I have available..
That could be the issue. It might be worth trying a USB-C Male to USB 5-Pin Mini B Male lead.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
wks
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wks »

It might be the usb hub?
GlobalWalkabout
Australia

tried it with a USB C to USB A adapter.. and had the same results..

I did manage to make a little bit of a breakthrough but it's still janky AF.. sadly.
Simon's GlobalWalkabout

(Season 2)
www.GlobalWalkabout.net