Planning a route in Basecamp.

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
DiavelDes
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Planning a route in Basecamp.

Post by DiavelDes »

Had Garmin satnavs for years, used Mapsource lots and wasn't keen on Basecamp when first released. I've not planned any routes for a few years and needed to plan one last weekend. Either I'm doing something wrong or the route planning is crap. It asked for start and end points but when I then added extra points to shape the route it added them after the destination and I had to move them up the order, waiting for it to replan the route with every change.
Is this how it works or am I missing something?
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: Planning a route in Basecamp.

Post by rufasim »

There are many ways t [plan routes in basecamp and I am sure someone will say what I do is wrong, but I'm going to tell you anyway. This is what works for me.
First, if its a one directional route, meaning point a to point b, use that box and put in a start and end point. Then go though the map and decide if those are the roads you wish to take. The route can easily be dragged to other roads simply by holding the alt button and grabbing the magenta line and pull it to where you want to go. I would add additional via points once you have the route you want, then change your via points to shaping points by telling them, not to announce upon arrival, unless you really want to stop there.

That's the easy one. If I want to make a round trip, honestly, I plan it in honda trip planner then plot my points on BC by copying it. I switch back and forth between the 2 apps to find the route and place a point in bc. I have been using htp for years to make my weekend treks and can plan a route there quickly. Its like looking at a map to see the best roads to take to your destination. Also, I have been doing this to have all my previously planned routes ready for the season so I can use my new XT for my rides. The last thing I do is ensure my points are all shaping points and they fall center of the road. Just planned a new 350 mile trek around New Hampshire with 43 points. Only about 15% on super slab. The rest were on numbered roads and side streets. Took me about 30 - 45 minutes to make it. Rode it yesterday and it worked perfectly. Need no u turns and never veered from the plan.
DiavelDes
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by DiavelDes »

Cheers I'll have a look.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

DiavelDes wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:48 pm Had Garmin satnavs for years, used Mapsource lots and wasn't keen on Basecamp when first released. I've not planned any routes for a few years and needed to plan one last weekend. Either I'm doing something wrong or the route planning is crap. It asked for start and end points but when I then added extra points to shape the route it added them after the destination and I had to move them up the order, waiting for it to replan the route with every change.
Is this how it works or am I missing something?
If you add them to the route when displaying it in the route box then yes, it will add them at the end. It doesn't know where you want them placed and you could equally want them there. BaseCamp cannot read your thoughts.

Best way to plan a route is create one using start and finish point only. Let BC calculate the route. Then use drag and drop to shape the route to follow the way you want to go.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:32 am Best way to plan a route is create one using start and finish point only. Let BC calculate the route. Then use drag and drop to shape the route to follow the way you want to go.
^ this ^. Additionally, put the start point about a mile down the road in your planned direction of travel. Place the destination point exactly where you intend to end. I'm a "map guy" so I pick points on the map rather than using the box. I then pick intermediate points using the insert tool. The dragging method works fine but I learned with the tool so that's just me.

These instructions work fine for a loop too as long as the start and destination are not the same.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A