City searching

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
MrOtford

City searching

Post by MrOtford »

I'm sure that this has been answered but I'm afraid that I'm not quite up to speed on the best searching phraseology for this forum yet.

Can some kind person remind me how to successfully search for city or town centres when using Basecamp? I'm fully au fait with Mapsource but because I'm using a Mac at the moment am obliged to use Basecamp (It's version 4.8.11). I hate the complexity of Basecamp. All I want to do is add towns to an itinerary, nothing more granular than that but the search appears to require me to be far too specific.

Thank you.
H2R
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: City searching

Post by H2R »

MrOrtford,

In Basecamp if you press Command-F you can use the search field to type the name of a city and state, like Webber, KS. After typing the city and state separated by a comma, hit Return. In the right-hand sidebar, in the section "All points of interest," the town of Webber should show up as a point of interest. There will be a dot icon to the left of the name Webber. That POI is theoretically Webber's city center. Double-clicking the word Webber should zoom in on that location. Right-clicking on the word Webber will give you a menu of choices.

If the search function doesn't work as described, you might want to click the Options button at the top right of the sidebar. I have Top Results selected in Find Options.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to make sure that you are using the correct map. In the menu bar at the top of your display, the Maps command should drop down to show you which map is in use. The Global Map doesn't have enough detail to find smaller places. You want to be using a full map like "City Navigator North America..."

To close the right-hand sidebar, there is a pair of binoculars at the bottom right. Click it to hide or redisplay the sidebar.

There is also a search radius defined in Basecamp - Preferences - Find. I have mine set to 500 miles, but Command-F seems to search beyond that radius for this type of search.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!