Garmin XT & Tyre

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
steve1960
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Garmin XT & Tyre

Post by steve1960 »

Hopefully this is the correct section....

I use tyre as my mapping source and have done for sometime,upgraded from my trusty old Zumo 660 which had become a bit battle scared over the years,purchased the XT last year when i changed motorcycles it is a fine piece of kit and i was able to carry on planning my routes on tyre,then download them to my new XT,my 9 year old lap top was finally due for an upgrade so i got myself a new one,installed the tyre to navigate program ect ect.Now for some reason it will not send routes to my XT,it knows the gps is plugged in to the computer,i click on transfere from garmin and the list of routes on the XT appears,when i click on transfer to Garmin a download complete message should appear,but it does not,i have looked in the "import Data"on the XT and there is nothing new to import....

Any Ideas

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin XT & Tyre

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sorry I can't help with TYRE as I stopped using it a long time ago when I converted from tomtom to Garmin

I did however revisit it and come to learn that the developers who created it are now the developers of My route App

I found this software so much better than TYRE and also better than Garmin Basecamp too

Maybe worth checking that out instead?
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Stu wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:06 am Hi and welcome to the forum

Sorry I can't help with TYRE as I stopped using it a long time ago when I converted from tomtom to Garmin

I did however revisit it and come to learn that the developers who created it are now the developers of My route App

I found this software so much better than TYRE and also better than Garmin Basecamp too

Maybe worth checking that out instead?
I have had a look at myrouteapp,looks alright,messed about with a couple of routes,i have kinda figured it out,but when i tried to download it to my gps it took me back to tyre,is that correct🤔

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No - it shouldn't take you back to Tyre.

Three ways of exporting routes from MRA -

* Save the gpx file and transfer to the XT using a File Explorer and USB cable
* Use the MRA Connector software and then use the Export facility. MRA transfers it direct to the XT.
* Email it to your phone. Drive picks it up and sends it to the XT. (Or if using MRA App on your phone, you can send it direct to Drive). THe advnatage of these two is that you don't need a USB connection.

TYRE - never used to recognise the different types of route points that garmin uses. MRA has only very recently added this facility to their route points. But that makes it very usable with the XT. However - MRA does not send the route hat you created on screen. It sends only the roue points, and leaves the XT to calculate a route. But it does send the track of the route. And the XT will display both the track and the route on the same screen - so you can spot any differences from the route that you planned.

TYRE has one or two other advnatages over (Say) Basecamp too. Things that have got me wondering how they managed to achieve it, when Garmin didn't. But I have yet to confirm my observations.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
woodyflyer
Great Britain

Post by woodyflyer »

Steve
Have you checked to see if your XT is visible on your computer, can see the xt and SD card if installed , plus the file structure.
I use tyre and have no problems, but when I create a route , I save them to a folder on my PC , then cut and paste or copy to the XT, into the gpx folder on xt or SD card , then import them.

Woody
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Yep I have checked the GPS is visible on the laptop,I to have a folder on my desktop where I save the routes, I may try the cut and paste method, Would the fact that I am using Windows 11 have anything to do with it, I am not very computer savvy so that doesn’t help things,I am not sure if office 365 is interfering as tyre wants to keep emailing me the routes instead of allowing me to download directly outlook keeps appearing asking me to set up an account,I don’t use outlook ,I have always downloaded them as itn (itinerary) files,gpx keeps appearing but still doesn’t allow me to download the routes,it’s driving me bonkers at the moment,I spent most of Sunday faffing about with it🤓

I watched a couple of tutorials on basecamp,blimey that looks scary 😁

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Do it in two stages. The Tyre server isn't working these days, but I still managed to get a route.

Do it in three steps.

Step 1 - Save the GPX file of the route.

File -> Save As -> Select GPX as the type and place the file in a folder that you can easily find.
Then make sure that you can find it in the folder that you think you saved it to.

Step 2 - Connect your XT via the USB cable
Make sure that you can see the XT as Zumo XT - and inside that a device calls Internal Storage.
Finf the folde in there called GPX

Step 3.
Copy the gpx file that you saved
Paste it into the GPX folder on the XT.
You should be able to see it in File Explorer to check that it has copied and pasted OK

Then unplug the XT. Let it start up. You need to Import it. The XT may give you a message to say that it has a new route and a new track.
If not - go to Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips ->Spanner ->Import and choose your saved route

You should then be able to load it from the list of routes.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Woodyflyer & jfheath…….cut and paste is the route i have gone,seems to of worked,i will mess around and make a few test routes and check they cut & paste from my folder on the desk top…..bit quiet at work for me,at the moment i am not working,so i may be able to get out on the bike and actually test a route……..thanks for your help👍

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
woodyflyer
Great Britain

Post by woodyflyer »

Hi Steve

Just checked Tyre and I cant open copy or send routes from within Tyre to my XT , Ive sent an email to them and will let you know the outcome, so for the time being its the cut and paste direct to the XT
A couple of things to check in Tyre are
from the header under Tools - Preferences - General at the bottom set the default to Garmin , this insure the file type is saved as .GPX
In the Preferences - Files Tick GPX new format (** see below comments )

Also from the header Garmin - Garmin Drive , ensure Use Garmin App to send routes is unticked , if ticked it will try and launch you email program.

**by selecting GPX new format , when you create a route, your selected route points are shown on the left , by default they are shown as a waypoints ( 2 yellow arrows )and the final point as Destination (chequered banner)
As the XT uses Shaping points (shown as blue dots on the XT plus they are unannounced ) and Via Points ( Orange Flag and Announced )
To make use of the ability to use shaping points and Via points together in routes you will need to do the following.
So Tyre use the waypoint 2 yellow arrows for shaping point and destination chequered banner for via points when loaded on the XT
If a route that consisted of a petrol stop, coffee stop , a specific place and your final destination, change these in your list to Destinations chequered banner , then use the waypoint 2 yellow arrows to create shaping points to shape your route the way you want to go IE the way you want to force the route to go from the petrol stop to the coffee stop.

Have you used the ability to launch Street View from within Tyre, its a good feature , I use it alot to check out what the roads look like , how twist , scenery, parking outside unknown coffee stop, entrance to a hotel or any place you just want to see what its like before you go.

Hope that helps and i have explained it correctly
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you're determined to stick with Tyre then @woodyflyer's post covers the main concerns that I would have.

If you get that working, then there are easier ways to get the Gpx file into the Xt without using a USB cable and without having to restart the XT each time. One way includes email and a smartphone which we can help you with later.