595 Audio Woes

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

595 Audio Woes

Post by VA3TWT »

I'm about to throw this thing out the window. I am trying to play MP3's to my motorcycle speakers through the audio out jack however I get an error message that says "Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker". I tried connecting it to a set of computer speakers and get the same error message. It's like the 595 doesn't recognize that it is in the motorcycle mount.

I have tried a factory reset, powering the device on before putting it in the mount, powering it on while in the mount and now I am at a loss. Maybe I got a lemon.

Any ideas what to try next? Maybe a faulty mount or a faulty device?

I'm stumped;
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: 595 Audio Woes

Post by Moose »

silly question but do you have the motorcycle mount connected to the battery, and the output to play mp3.S
VA3TWT
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

Moose;

Yes the GPS is in the motorcycle mount and set to play MP3's. It works fine in the automotive mount, and works sometimes in the motorcycle mount, but fails about 8 of 10 tries. I get the error: "Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker". It's like the GPS is not recognizing the motorcycle mount.

Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

try using a soft eraser and clean the contacts and see if that helps
VA3TWT
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

Thanks Moose. Tried that first off. I'm thinking I have a bad mount. I tried my unit in a friend's mount and it seemed to work OK, however their was one time it didn't recognize my unit in his mount. I'm heading to east TN on Saturday and I'm thinking I am going to have to use my Zumo 550. for the trip. Can't rely on the 595.

I'll keep testing;
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

This is a problem I see, and so does a friend, now and again. For some reason it just thinks it's not in the mount, and you can do whatever you like to try to fix it, but nothing seems to work - it starts up again in its own good time.