Zumo XT not following route

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fourbears
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT not following route

Post by Fourbears »

Just checked it only has 'Global Map' without my device being attached. I'll try it with it attached later.
Fourbears
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Right maps appear when the XT is connected. So that’s not a problem but it still refuses to follow my routes! Despite putting loads of waypoints in MRA for a trip down south today and checking the route is correct on the XT it calculated correctly at first but after a minute it decided to recalculate it sending me on a completely different route adding 90 minutes on too. The return route also was correct for about a minute then the XT told me that route avoidances had been changed, they hadn’t, and promptly changed it. So I have no idea what it’s doing and Basecamp is a complete mystery to me as it calculated the route completely differently to where I had placed waypoints. Any ideas?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Send the GPX file of the route from Basecamp. Either post on here or attach to a private message.

Also - which maps are you using on your XT
Which maps on Basecamp
What avoidances are set on the XT
How is Traffic set ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fourbears
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

I've sent you a pm rather than put it on here. Hope thats ok.
Fourbears
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Thanks to jfheath it looks like the reason for this has been found! When exporting/saving from MRA gpx1.1 is the format to be used and not 1.2. Plus a lot of shaping or waypoints. Thanks jfheath!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad you're sorted. I'll summarise what we found out and post it.

Enough shaping points to keep the XT from heading for fastest roads is what we should aim for, rather than a lot. But until I can find out how to judge what is 'enough', then 'a lot' is probably to be preferred. Or superimpose the track so that you can ignore the instructions - see how long it takes to correct itself.

(Superimpose is the worng word, becasue the track gets put under the route. I don't know what the word is for displaying underneath something else. Underlay, perhaps ? )

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.