Waypoint icons

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ianchapp
Has liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Waypoint icons

Post by ianchapp »

Why do all my waypoints shows as a heart when transferred to my XT? They (>1000) have all had icons assigned.

I've tried transferring the GPX directly, MapSource, and BaseCamp (which I hate!).

I'm sure the icons transferred on previous units, but maybe I remember the past through rose-tinted specs :lol:

Maybe I need to assign a category?

TBH I would rather have them as POI's if It was possible to get them to display on the device, but it seems only favourites do this when 'Up Ahead' is selected. Am I correct?

Thanks!
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoint icons

Post by simoncrewe »

When I got my XT I exported all my waypoints into Garmin Explore & then synched with the XT. From memory they all appeared as green flags, so I went into Explore & edited the icons. However I only had about 60! When I synched the XT to Explore a second time it replaced the plain green icons to those that I has edited.

You could try it with one or two & then decide how you wish to proceed.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

Thanks, But I'd prefer not to start using Explore.

I've just sorted the waypoints and put them into categories. But doesn't seem to help with icons, although it's nice to see them grouped within Favourites.

So the problem remains!
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Unfortunately you have to go back in time to when BaseCamp was able to send icons to devices. Now you generally have to accept the green hearts.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

sussamb wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:18 pm Unfortunately you have to go back in time to when BaseCamp was able to send icons to devices. Now you generally have to accept the green hearts.
OK thanks, if not possible, I'll give up. But I do find it hard to see why they'd take this retrograde step!

My other alternative is to create them as POI's. But is there any way to make POI's permanently visible?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not that I'm aware but I don't have a XT
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If you have Explore enabled, then you can add your waypoints to a collection.
You can also add your route and tracks to the same collection

If you then go to Settings ->Map & Vehicle ->Map Layers.
You can Make your collection visible on the map
You can turn off Up Ahead Places - which prevents the big hearts and flag favourites from showing up.

Routes from explore are a series of points, which the Zumo then converts into a route. Your waypoints, although they show up on the map in the same place are not an integral part of the route.

I have yet to navigate a route created in this way so I don't know if the waypoints announce as you approach, (like POIs can be made to do).

The hearts and other green symbols seem to suffer an issue - only the most recently transferred icons show up on the screen. Waypoints that were transferred previously seem to disappear.

If you don't want Explore set up, then instructions on how to get rid of it are at the bottom of this page.
app.php/ZXT-P56

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

Thanks, and for maintaining this site! TBH I'm hesitant to start with Explore. Will it actually transfer/display icons correctly rather than hearts?

It's possible that my terminology has confused the issue. By Waypoints, what I really mean is Favourites rather than points to be used in a route. I have a feeling I may be better using POI's with proximity alarms.

BTW my application is the POI's of the TET (in their GPX), which often will be notes relevant to the route. I'd like to see them on the device as I approach, but an alternative may be proximity alarms. When you can't see them they're easy to miss, and I'm not keen to have my device covered in meaningless green hearts. Meaningful icons would be fine.

https://transeurotrail.org/united-kingdom
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is exactly the correct use of the term 'Waypoint' as far as Garmin is concerned.

With the hearts - you can change the symbols to one of a number of same sized green box icons. And they will appear on the screen. independant of the route.

Explore's icons are much smaller, there is a much bigger range and can have different colours. But those are also Waypoints which appear in Favourites.

Give me a nudge in a day or two, I'll get some screen shots of both, so that you can decide which is best. I keep enabling Explore and then disabling it again. At present it is enabled because your message reminded me that I was looking at Explore during Covid, and I never got out to test how it actually behaved on the road. So I have a short test route to try in the car tomorrow.

POI's - I played with them when I got my first Zumo - the 550, many years ago. Plotted some items of interest in the local area and recorded a brief commentary which started playing when you got within a certain distance. Great fun, but I haven't touched them since.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

Just tried Explore for the first time. Not sure if I love it or hate it - probably the latter! :D

The icons are certainly far more presentable. It looks to me like Garmin are trying to persuade you to use their cloud. The fact that it doesn't retain existing icons in the GPX is annoying. But what makes it worse is that I can't seem to bulk-edit waypoints' icons, which TBH makes it a non-starter for 1000+ of them. Or am I missing something? Maybe it's possible to set a default prior to import?

The other 'problem' is that notes associated with a waypoint (critical route info in the TET's case) appear not to be stored with the waypoint?

And if I disconnect from Explore (using hidden menus), do my waypoints disappear?