For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

General Map Selection Question

Post by carolinarider09 »

This is related to my Zumo 660.

I have installed the new maps on my ZUMO. I am pretty sure I installed them in the SD card.

When I look at "Settings" and then "Map" and then "Map Info", I see the following

CN North American NT 2022.20
[1] - US & Canada

CN North America NT 2022.20 Basic 3D
[1] - US & Canada

CN North America NT 2023.10
[1] Grand Bahama, Labrador - Newfoundland, Montreal

All three have check marks in their boxes.

So,,,, My question is, do I really have the new map data on my GPS (i.e. 2023.10) and is it being used.

Next question should I uncheck the first two?

Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: General Map Selection Question

Post by sussamb »

How did you install them? The older files relate to the older map so should have been deleted. The newer map doesn't look like you've installed the full map.
carolinarider09
United States of America

I installed them using Garmin Express or Garmin Map Install. It has happened before but I have never been concerned but this time it was a little different.

I was running those two programs on my MacBook Air.

When I started Garmin Map Install it showed that I had all the USA and the Canadian provokes (lower part) loaded already.

The maps (2023.1) were installed on the SD card on the 660 as I remember it but I will have to check to be sure.

The 665 has expanded memory from the Palm Dr. So the maps are installed on the 665's main memory card. But I will go back and make sure.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Just checked the 665 and it does not have this issue. So, I suspect the issue is because of where the maps are loaded on the 660 (SD Card).
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Express should install them correctly. If you used MapInstall the error may well be yours, note that MapInstall only sends a map, so doesn't update the 2 older files you listed.

I'd delete the 2023.10 map then use Express to update your device correctly.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Ok... Maybe I missed the big picture.

Here is what I understand. There is limited space on the 660 (more than the 665 but still limited). Before this map update, I could install The whole 49 states on the 660 main memory. When I tired this time, Express said there was not enough room.

To make sure that is what I saw, found, ect, I am going to remove the current SD card from the 660 and try to use express for a map update and then report back.

Note: My feeling is that there is not enough room for the 2023.10 maps on the device because the 2023.10 map database for the lower 49 is bigger than the one installed now. But there is not a real way to verify that except try the above, I suspect.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Ok... I was in error.

I pulled the SD card from the 660 and pluged the unit into the computer. Garmin express took off (MacBook Air) and asked me about install. I said go and it then said not enough room on the main memory put in an SD card.

So, I pulled the unit, put the same SD card back in plugged it back into Garmin express and it asked me about install. I said yes and it installed no further questions asked.

(Don't know why this didn't happen the first time but maybe I did something different.

So, now maps are up to date as expected. Will check again to make sure the 49 states are covered.