jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Maximum Size SD card

Post by jfheath »

Hang on, I thought you said that:
BradB. wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:41 pm
I have my SD card formatted FAT32 but it isn't recognized on the XT unit.
Ooops !! :D

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
pratishk
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by pratishk »

So my 256gb card just came this morning and had the same issues, it was just not seeing the card.

I followed the advice a few posts up, keep the Zumo XT switched on, then place the card and lock it, and voila the format option pops up and I now have a readable card on the Zumo! Thanks all! :-)
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

I've been struggling to "see" my SD card in my XT. Specifically, I wanted to use it to store the Birdseye images there.

I was told by Garmin Support that you cannot see or use the SD card until the internal storage is full. Is this what others have experienced?
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ive not got to the point where internal memory is full. Access to internal memory is faster than access to the SD card, so it makes sense to use that for maps if at all possible.

You should be able to access the SD card for storing routes, tracks, waypoints, music though.

If you wanted to force the issue, and you are feeling brave, you could try using the internal storage for other stuff so that there isn't enough room for your Birds Eye imagery. I wouldn't fill Internal Storage completely, but it may force Express to use the SD card. But do this at your own risk. The XT may need some spare internal storage in order to carry out tasks when it starts up. There may be a risk that you may prevent the XT from starting. I haven't tried this, and I cannot say whether it will work or turn your XT into a paperweight.

A safer way might be to use Express to add map regions until it needs to put them on the SD card. Express is then in control of managing the internal storage. Make sure you know how to delete the unwanted maps before you start.

Let us know how it works for you so that we may learn from it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

Thanks for the advice and the tips. I'll look at trying a few of these things. With the exception of creating a paperweight. :o I'll report back in a while when the snow melts and I can try in earnest.
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

BradB wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:04 pm I've been struggling to "see" my SD card in my XT. Specifically, I wanted to use it to store the Birdseye images there.

I was told by Garmin Support that you cannot see or use the SD card until the internal storage is full. Is this what others have experienced?

My internal storage is nowhere near full and I have songs on the SD card and the XT sees the card and accesses the songs no problems at all.
For music at least you need to have the songs inside a directory called Music or MP3. If f you just have the songs in the root directory os the card the XT will not see them. Maybe for maps and mapping related functions you also need them in a specific directory. I have not tried that though.
wjbertrand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

Hello zumers, Long time Garmin Zumo user (550), but new to the XT.

I'm reading this thread with interest as I just received my XT a couple days ago. I've been running through and changing some of the basic settings to my liking and installing music. Great forum as I've already found the answers to several of my questions. As mentioned above, I could not reformat my 256GB card to FAT32 with my Win 10 PC, it came formatted as exFAT. I decided to install a few songs from my library using my computer and just try it as is. When I put the card into the XT and changed the source to MP3, it searched for a moment and then produced the music complete with album cover art (in most cases). I can also see the card when the XT is connected to my computer. I then proceeded to load the rest of my library, about 3,300 songs, and so far they all seem to be accessible. Bottom line is my XT with all the latest updates does not seem to have a problem reading exFAT formatted cards. Is it possible that I kind of accidentally reformatted the card to FAT32? I saw the prompt come up and clumsily tapped yes, but nothing seemed to happen. There was another prompt that popped up at the same time asking me to reset or restore something to which I tapped cancel. Could the card have been reformatted instantaneously like that?
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

In Windows File Explorer, right click on the drive letter that represents your SD card, and click 'properties' . It will tell you how it has been formatted.

wjbertrand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by wjbertrand »

I tried that, it’s not showing the formatting type.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA