Waypoints - Proximity and alerting

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Triplog
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Waypoints - Proximity and alerting

Post by Triplog »

I've been using Basecamp and various Gps's for quite a while now but would like some info on the following queries.
In Basecamp I can specify a "Proximity" value on a waypoint (Denoted by a red ring - see attached jpg) - I assume the theory is if, for instance, I set a value of 1mile diameter and I get within 0.5miles of the waypoint the Gps assumes I have passed through it and won't force me back to it. Has anyone ever got this to work? (I use an XT, but on any Gps?)
Secondly, I fully understand Waypoints, Via Points and Shaping Points, but is it possible to have any sort of "Point" which will alert on arrival but will not force me back to it if I purposely miss it for any reason?
Lastly is there any way to get Arrival and Departure times created in Basecamp to be recognised (again by an XT in this case).

Thanks
Attachments
Prox waypoint.JPG
Prox waypoint.JPG (75.05 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoints - Proximity and alerting

Post by sussamb »

Proximity points alert on handheld devices but not automotive ones, where they have no effect other than to provide the circle marking.

As for your other points, not that I'm aware on current devices, earlier devices using Route Planner if I recall correctly did accept start and finish times from BaseCamp.
Triplog
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Thanks Sussamp, pretty much as of suspected as various trials weren't yielding much success. I know the proximity alerts previously worked with my Etrex.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I think..... But it has been a long while since I played around with Points of Interest.

Note that POIs are not the same as Waypoints or any other type of point in normal use on the Zumo.

POIs can be made to trigger the playing of an audio clip when you get within a specified distance.
That proximity circle may be used in later versions of the POI Loader.

More info: https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... 7#Instruct

As @sussamb said = Via Points alert, and you must visit them (or press Skip).

You can specify the time and date for any route point from within Basecamp. I think that this information is only retained by the XT for Via Points.
The XT doesn't use the date, but it uses the time to calculate the ETA or Time of arrival at next Vias for routes that have not yet been started.
If the date is entered for the start point, this information was used really well in the 590/5 to order the list of available routes - displaying the routes for today at the top. and putting appropriate headings above toher groups of routes.

The XT doesn't do this, but it will still order the routes based on the date in the start point. Or it did when I tested it last year.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.