XT locking device

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Re: XT locking device

Post by V-Tom »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:58 pm ...
You are correct in what you say, although Ram offer a security 'wheel' to replace the thumb wheel. Personally I would not recommend using a Ram mount as it is something else to vibrate / move and put the unit out of the ideal position. My TT mount is bolted firmly to the bike.
The "Ram" mounts are designed to actually absorb vibration. Solid mounting is going to inflict **more** vibration than the "Ram" mount. Every Jolt and engine vibration will be directly sent to the GPS if it is "Firmly" mounted. (BTW The last few Zumos I bought came with Ram Clones, not actual Ram mounts.)

I have over 660,000 km / 410,000 km riding V-Stroms with my GPS units mounted on the handlebars using RAM Mounts with no issues. The ability to change the alignment of the GPS is quite nice when riding in different light conditions (less of an issue with the XT than the previous Zumo's.)

..Tom
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:58 pm You are correct in what you say, although Ram offer a security 'wheel' to replace the thumb wheel. Personally I would not recommend using a Ram mount as it is something else to vibrate / move and put the unit out of the ideal position. My TT mount is bolted firmly to the bike.
My Ram mounted Zumo moved maybe 1/4" on a recent ride that included well over 100km of corrugated dirt roads. Enough to upset the OCD part of me but not enough to cause any issues. I have subsequently repositioned it back to original and tightened it a little bit more securely than I had. Previously I had a TomTom 400 on the same mount and that never moved at all in 6 years / 50,000 km including plenty of very rough dirt roads.
Aushiker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
New Zealand

Post by Aushiker »

Has anyone tried one of these [url=https://www.motopumps.com/shop/zumo-xt-security-lock[/url]? Any thoughts on the design? Price wise they are about the same in Australia at least as the ZumoLock.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

I bought it a few weeks ago, but didn't have it installed yet, as i will get another windscreen soon and the installation is easier in one go...

Quality looks good and for me it's the only option, as i also have the 360 degrees rotator from Touratech on the Zumo XT mount and all other locks are not compatible with it. It is small and for my needs (leaving the Zumo XT on the bike when fueling up or be for a short meal somewhere) it's secure enough - i would never leave the Zumo XT on the bike overnight, not even in a garage when at home or while staying on bike-holidays in southern tyrol...

One little problem may be, that the 'key' is a bit long - so if you had your Zumo XT near to the front screen it could be a bit tricky to open it with the key, if there is not much space - but if needed, it could been cutted by half in the length! No 'elegant' solution, but should work
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)