How Do You Find Interesting Routes

Got a question about any other routing software that you use for creating routes and transferring to your Zumo? Then post in here and we will try our best to help
Circular Logic
United States of America

How Do You Find Interesting Routes

Post by Circular Logic »

While looking for help finding interesting routes with light traffic I came across a mapping application called "Curvature." Basically, it analyzes the "twistiness" of a route and assigns a score. I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this and has found it useful.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: How Do You Find Interesting Routes

Post by Stu »

I tried it a few years ago and while the idea is good it seemed to see every single turning as an option to take which resulted in so stupid routes on "roads" you wouldn't take a 4x4 down :lol:

It may have improved over the years though
mbirth

Post by mbirth »

In Germany we have two rivalling products that work similar:

Kurviger - which is made by geeks, based on OpenStreetMap and a modified GraphHopper routing engine

and

calimoto - which works similar but seems to have more commercial interests

The Kurviger engine is also available on mobiles - they have an app for Android and on iOS it's integrated into the "Scenic" motorcycling app.

Calimoto has apps on both systems.

I've never actually tried calimoto, but used Kurviger a few times and always got routes as curvy as you can get in flat Brandenburg.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I am a member of several motorcycle related forums. By watching what is stated there and asking questions I have found some good routes for trips.

I also use this website. Not great but helpful.
https://www.bestbikingroads.com

My riding videos are posting here.

https://rumble.com/vo50gv-traveling-south-on-ky-32.html
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I look at maps, I randomly pick roads, then I use Google maps to make sure they're all paved. How hard can it be?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 am I look at maps, I randomly pick roads, then I use Google maps to make sure they're all paved. How hard can it be?
Very, I imagine, when you don't have Streetview!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

colirv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:28 am
rbentnail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 am I look at maps, I randomly pick roads, then I use Google maps to make sure they're all paved. How hard can it be?
Very, I imagine, when you don't have Streetview!
I use Google maps and drag & drop the little man over to a street. If it lights up blue, it's paved. If not, it's not. That's it. I also selected to avoid unpaved roads in both Base Camp and on my device. That helps some but Garmin doesn't update often enough to keep up. Or I don't. Whichever it is, it's not reliable enough to believe in.

I suppose Google Earth could be used. I've looked at that before. But I'm not one to plan every detail of a ride or trip. I don't feel the need to look at every turn and stopping place. I have a destination, I randomly pick roads and I go.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm I use Google maps and drag & drop the little man over to a street. If it lights up blue, it's paved.
That doesn't work in Germany. @mbirth above lives in Berlin.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
mbirth

Post by mbirth »

colirv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:27 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm I use Google maps and drag & drop the little man over to a street. If it lights up blue, it's paved.
That doesn't work in Germany. @mbirth above lives in Berlin.
Right. That's why I have to rely on OpenStreetMap (which Kurviger uses) and fix the road condition there if Kurviger sends me onto cobblestone.

And if I'm in a good mood, I'll also fix this on Here's MapCreator so it'll be avoided by my zumo - once Garmin pushes a new map update half a year later.
Hay0Rack
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Hay0Rack »

Just tried Kurviger
Even the simple/ free version lokks excellent