Incident detected

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Fitz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Incident detected

Post by Fitz »

A number of times on my ride yesterday, the 396 flashed up "Incident detected" with details of the location. At first I thought it was warning me of traffic / holdups, but actually I think it was detecting me crashing the bike?! Thankfully it didn't send any distressing messages to my NOK which is a relief. Anyone else experienced something similar?
Fitz
Ireland

Re: Incident detected

Post by Fitz »

Replying to myself... :roll:

I had the Zumo out on the bike again today and "Incident detected" didn't happen at all. Maybe the heat was getting to it on Saturday. Or maybe it just needed turnitoffandturnitonagain.
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Hi, I've got the 346, does exactly the same thing. Drives me potty, can't seem to turn it off in the settings
Fitz
Ireland

Post by Fitz »

Mine only did it that one day I reported it here, has been fine ever since and I don't think I changed any settings to get rid of it. Have you contacted Garmin for advice?
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I have. I sent them an email detailing it all, but as yet, have had no reply.
I did try ringing them first, and a message said that due to training, they couldn't answer the phone! :o
Moose
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

did the same for a couple of days on my 595 I thought it was telling me about a traffic thing but by the time i was there it was non existent
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Well, I went out on a ride with a few mates today and did 245 miles. The 346 showed an "incident detected" message halfway across the screen for the whole journey. It changed the address of said incidents every 100 yards or so.
Really cheesing me off this is. :evil:
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

try this

Disabling Incident Notifications
While incident notifications are disabled, the device does not send an SMS notification when it detects an incident.

Select Settings > Driver Assistance > Incident Notification.
Clear the Incident Detection SMS check box.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

And to expand on it all

Incident Detection and Notifications
WARNING! The device allows you to send your location to an emergency contact. This is a supplemental feature and should not be relied upon as a primary method to obtain emergency assistance. The Smartphone Link app does not contact emergency services on your behalf.
Your zūmo® device uses built-in sensors to detect a possible vehicle incident.

If you set up an incident contact, the device can send an automated text message to that contact when it detects an incident and your vehicle stops moving. This can help alert the contact to your situation if you are not able to call or send a message. This feature requires a connection to Smartphone Link and an active mobile data connection to send a message.

If you have not set up an incident contact, the device automatically displays the nearest address or geographic coordinates when it detects an incident. This feature is helpful if you need to tell emergency personnel your location. You can select More to view the Where Am I? page.

Setting Up an Incident Contact
Before you can set up an incident detection contact, you must complete these tasks:

Connect your device to Smartphone Link (Pairing with Your Phone and Connecting to Smartphone Link).

Select Settings > Bluetooth, select your phone name, and verify the Phone calls option is enabled.

The device must have access to the Smartphone Link app and to your smartphone phone book during the incident contact setup. If you do not want to use your device for hands-free calling, you can disable the Phone calls option after the incident contact setup is complete.

Select Settings > Driver Assistance > Incident Notification > Continue.
A list of your smartphone contacts appears.

Select a contact, and select Next.
Verify the contact's phone number, and select Next.
Enter your name or nickname, and select Done.
Review the sample incident message, and select Next.
Follow the on-screen instructions to inform your contact that you have added them as an incident contact.
NOTE: The incident notification message includes the name or nickname you entered, but it is not sent from your phone number. The message is sent using a third-party service, and you should inform your incident contact that the incident message will come from an unknown number.
Select OK.
Review the information, and select Save.

Cancelling an Incident Notification
When the device detects an incident, a message and a voice prompt inform you that a notification will be sent to your incident contact. A 60-second countdown timer starts when the incident is detected, and the device sends the notification automatically when the timer expires. If you do not want to send the notification, you can cancel it.

Before the timer expires, select Cancel.

Disabling Incident Notifications
While incident notifications are disabled, the device does not send an SMS notification when it detects an incident.

Select Settings > Driver Assistance > Incident Notification.
Clear the Incident Detection SMS check box.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Hi Stu,
thanks for that. I didn't have any contacts set up for any incidents that occur. I've just tried setting one up and then unticking the send SMS box.
I'll see if that works. Funny thing is, it only starting doing it a week or so ago, didn't do it for the first month or so that I had it.
Still not heard anything back from Garmin via email.