Smartphone Notifications

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Yoyo
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Smartphone Notifications

Post by Yoyo »

I've just been on chat with Garmin and it appears there are severe compatibility issues between Garmin and Huawei. I've got a Garmin watch that works as it should but we can't get the XT to work with regards to notifications. At least I'm out of phone contract in July so csn switch to something else.
Yoyo
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Yoyo »

Well I very odd thing happened today, I've got an old Samsung S7 so I thought I'd try and connect that and I did get notifications, so I removed it, deleted Drive off my Huawei and reinstalled it and it now works, I did nothing different and I'm happy it works but I'd like to know what was wrong in the first place! Thanks for the advice all.
Hobbington
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Hobbington »

On a related note, Garmin Drive appears to have taken a backward step with the smartphone notifications.
I was previously using Smartphone Link with my 595 and that gave you the option to choose which specific apps on your phone could send notifications.
Drive doesn't do this. Instead it just allows you to choose app categories.
I turned 'Social' off because the last thing I want whilst riding are Facebook notifications.
The huge problem here is that WhatsApp - which is my preferred choice for messaging - is NOT deemed to be a messaging service but instead only works with 'Social' switched on.
So that means that if I want WhatsApp notifications, I'm going to get Facebook ones too.
Anyone know of a way around this?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If its an Android phone, then either Force Stop on Facebook - Find Facebook in the Settings->Apps menu.
Or in the same place, block notifications.

Put it back the same way. A tad tedious, but it gets the job done.

Don't know about other phones.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fooz
Canada

Post by Fooz »

Hi . i think the notifications work only if your helmet bluetooth. Is on . other wise Drive up desont transfer data..just a theory..will double check it

I take this back..not the problem
I still dont know why i do t get notifcations on XT
Heeelllpppp
Last edited by Fooz on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Most phones under 3 years iold have 2 bluetooth channels, you have to go into settingsa and sometimes developers settigns to enable.

Once runnin doe the text message come up on the XT or does it just say you have a test?
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
Fooz
Canada

Post by Fooz »

I dont have developpers under Zumo XT settings
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

See here for the 'hidden' menus.

Use these entirely at your own risk. I doubt that this is the answer to your Notifications problem though.

Note that if your phone doesn't get notifications, then your XT won't get them either. So - if you are testing it by sending a message to yourself from the same phone - that won't work !!

Your BT settings must show the blue icon for the phone and the blue icon for Drive.

I did a series of Videos on setting up te XT for use with a smartphone and Garmin Explore. The first video in this link covers what needs to be done. Check it through - see if you have missed anything.

viewtopic.php?p=7621#p7621

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fooz
Canada

Post by Fooz »

Thanks a lot for taking the time. However
Here is the situation.
Bluetooth symbol is ON and color blue on XT
and Zumo XT is paired on my Android LG velvet phone. I know its paired because i can play music on XT from my Cellphone using bluetooth.
When i used my XT all summer long eveything worked perfect. On XT showed up notifications that I chose (checked) in the drive app setting on my cell.
I am using my wife s Cell phone to test
by sending text messages.
All of a sudding notifications started not showing up.
I did clear the cash on the Drive app and uninstall it
and install it back. But nothing happened
I changed phones and used a samsung 7 but still
same issue.

One thing though.. XT recieves notifications from on category only that is checked on the Drive app settings and that is the last category which is OTHER..eventhough evey other category is checked on the drive app.
On my cell Drive app and phone and text are all authorised

I think this happened after an update of Zumo xt software. I dont know if other people have the same issue
H. E. L. P. Please
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok, thanks for the update.

On the phone, go to settings->Apps->Drive

See what notifications are allowed. Make sure that 'Show Notifications' is turned on and then choose which ones you want. Mine has only 'General' selected and it works ok with messages and emails.
Also, see what permissions your phone has set for Drive. Mine has call logs, contacts, files and media, location, microphone and Phone.

I'm not sure that it needs all of those, but certainly most of them.