Splash Screen

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Splash Screen

Post by biz »

I'm sure that we're all aware that, unlike previous Zumo models, it's not officially possible to change the Splash Screen at startup. However, since different Splash Screens DO exist (eg: BMW, Harley Davidson, Touratech have different splash screens from the standard Garmin one) if we knew where these were located, perhaps it would be possible to change them.

When I updated a Harley Davidson 590 to the Garmin 595 firmware (there is no HD version of the 595), the splash screen changed. Originally it shows the Harley Davidson logo, and after the upgrade, surprisingly NOT the Garmin splash screen, but a tine white square containing the words "GIR Low Mem". That suggests the splash screen is not in the firmware file itself, but the firmware instructs the Garmin to display a file from elsewhere, and as the Garmin one is not on the device, it can't find it, and doesn't know about the HD Logo. Whatever the splash image is, I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's contained within another file - a .bin file perhaps? Perhaps the GarminDevice.xml file tells it where to get the splash image? Has anyone looked at this in detail, as I'd like the Zumo to display something after the 595 upgrade, other than the little white square.....
biz
Great Britain

Re: Splash Screen

Post by biz »

OK, I've sorted this now :-) The HD Logo splash screen was too big (25kb) to load using the 595 firmware. I reduced the file size to 10k (same as the Garmin logo on the 590/595) and now have it loading happily at boot.

This has taught me that it is possible to load custom splash screens to the 590/595 too, despite what we thought previously. :D
tatteam
Malta

Post by tatteam »

hello biz, can you share info how to change boot logo, I have zumo lm595 and would like to change the boot logo . thanks
biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

It's really very simple once you have the image you want to load. Read here:

https://www.gpspower.net/garmin-receive ... -logo.html

And see the Zip file downloadable here:

https://www.gpspower.net/garmin-receive ... ost1222309

You can use that with your own .bin file to do the job.

See how you get on - if you get stuck, ask me.