396 goes to “standby” instead of “off” when bike turned off

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
SamStone
United States of America

396 goes to “standby” instead of “off” when bike turned off

Post by SamStone »

I’ve mounted my 396 on bike using the OEM powered cradle and a RAM mount. Works great. But I notice when I turn off the bike, the 396 provides notice that external power has been lost and gives me the option of “canceling” and letting the unit stay on via battery power or “turn off.” Typically I let it “turn off.”

However, I realized it doesn’t actually turn off (I.e., power down) it just goes into “standby.” So if I then remove the unit and toss it in my bag and then pull it out later at home or in a hotel, the battery is almost empty because it’s been in standby the whole time.

This seems an odd “default” for the unit instead of actually powering down. Is there a setting I’m missing or do I really have to manually turn the unit off when I shut down the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 goes to “standby” instead of “off” when bike turned off

Post by jfheath »

I can't say for the 396, but the 590 and 595, if you press AND HOLD the power button while it is still turned on, you eventually get a message asking whether or not you want to turn off the device. The same is likely to be true for the 396.

If you have an alarm on your bike then you have to turn off the Zumo either before the power is lost, or immediately after - ie before the Zumo screen goes blank. Otherwise, depending on your alarm, the hazard warning lights will flash, and this can turn the Zumo on again !!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
SamStone
United States of America

Post by SamStone »

Thanks. I know to hold the power button to turn the unit off. It seems that “totally off” would be the default when you have the 396 in the motorcycle cradle and you turn the bike off (removing the external power). My assumption would be that the unit would turn off, not go dark but still be on battery power thereby draining the battery.

It seems that if you turn off the bike (external power) then to actually turn off the 396 you have to press and hold the power button. That just seems an odd extra step - and the screen doesn’t indicate that’s what should happen.

I just wondered if there was some setting I wasn’t aware of to change this behavior.

jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That matches the 590. It always goes into standby mode rather than turning off. You have to deliberately turn it off if you want to shut down the power completely. And - as I said, the unit has to be turned on (Rather than in standby) in order to turn it off fully. That's why I suggested turning it off before it loses the power from the bike (or within 15 seconds).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
SamStone
United States of America

Post by SamStone »

Thanks - that confirms the behavior. A very odd design feature in my opinion. Stuff like that always makes me want to find the coder and ask them what they were thinking.[emoji849]

Craig 124
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Craig 124 »

I think the reason for this is when your out on a run and stop for a break the unit goes into standby on the bike when the ignition is switched off so that when you return your route is still there to continue on your journey when the ignition is switched back on.
Instead of having to power up the unit and set a route or pick a saved route to continue your journey.
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

SamStone wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:49 pm Thanks - that confirms the behavior. A very odd design feature in my opinion. Stuff like that always makes me want to find the coder and ask them what they were thinking.[emoji849]
LOL. It's exactly the way I want it to behave as I record every MC trip as daily tracks. If the unit turned off at every stop the editing of tracks would be a chore. This way each day is a continuous track.
mpenner

Post by mpenner »

Craig 124 wrote:I think the reason for this is when your out on a run and stop for a break the unit goes into standby on the bike when the ignition is switched off so that when you return your route is still there to continue on your journey when the ignition is switched back on.
Instead of having to power up the unit and set a route or pick a saved route to continue your journey.
It also powers up much more quickly from stand-by (a soft start) than from powered completely down (a hard start)

mpenner

Post by mpenner »

Steve W wrote:
SamStone wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:49 pm Thanks - that confirms the behavior. A very odd design feature in my opinion. Stuff like that always makes me want to find the coder and ask them what they were thinking.[emoji849]
LOL. It's exactly the way I want it to behave as I record every MC trip as daily tracks. If the unit turned off at every stop the editing of tracks would be a chore. This way each day is a continuous track.
Tracks can be selected a joined easily in both MapSource and BaseCamp.

In MapSource, select the tracks that you want to join using either CTRL or SHIFT and your mouse. Then right click and select “Join Tracks”. Similar with BaseCamp.

It works really well

ND FRMBOY
United States of America

Post by ND FRMBOY »

This is interesting. I just bought a zumo 396 and was unaware of the standby mode. I did find while playing with the unit that every time it turned it on, that it turned on right away. Yesterday I turned the bike off then removed the unit and found it totally dead this morning. Had to hold the power switch for about 5 seconds to get it to start after plugging it in to an outlet. Looks like we all will have to remember to power the unit down at the end of each day. Thankful for this forum.