Following route created on Basecamp

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Following route created on Basecamp

Post by sprint »

Hi

I am using a Zumo 346. I have created a route on Basecamp initially using Waypoints then converting them to Shaping Points and then downloading it onto the Sat Nav.

The route is not starting from home but from a point about 30 miles away where as a group we will be starting off from. On checking the Map route on the Sart Nav the map is as planned, though it has gained some 6 miles between the Basecamp route and downloading it onto the Sat Nav?

However, if I hit the Go function it asks the next destination, which I select as my chosen end destination and it then goes on the calculate the route. However, this now a totally different route to the one I created using the Waypoints (now Shaping Points).

So what I would like to know is this because I have asked it to calculate the route from my current home position and not the original start point and as a result it has just simply chosen the fastest route to the end destination?

I would have thought that it would take the fastest route from my present home location to the programed start point and then follow the route that I have created using the Shaping Points?

Can anybody advise as I am concerned at the moment that if I select and start the route from my actual programed start point it will do the same and not follow the planned route?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Following route created on Basecamp

Post by sussamb »

The mistake you're making is a common one, if you want to start the trip at the first waypoint you select that, not the end point.
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

It is a common mistake, only because of the screwy way the GPS works. A route entered into the unit should be followed. If it were the old SP 2730, that is what it would do.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, it's the way most want it to work. If I enter a trip I generally want to start at the start. If you select the start then your device calculates the route to it and follows the route from there. Alternatively if you want to pick up the route elsewhere you select the appropriate point on the route, your device will then take there and then follow the route. It's a very flexible route tool.
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I am still a bit apprehensive that when I start the route from the actual location that it will follow my chosen route with Shaping Points, or will do as it is currently doing from my home location, and just simply recalculate it's prefered route to the destination totally bypassing the programed route, which will really screw it up for me a leader!

As a second point, as indicated the Basecamp route is around 160 mile but when downloaded to the Sat Nav it increases to around 166 miles? At the end of the download a message appears at the top stating that it has recalculated on the device, 346, as it does not have the same maps, indication that the basecamp has different maps and routes to the 346?

The 346 has the latest maps and I have had the 346 connected to the PC whilst planning and then downloading.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and if there is a straightforward solution?
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

sprint wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:32 am Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I am still a bit apprehensive that when I start the route from the actual location that it will follow my chosen route with Shaping Points, or will do as it is currently doing from my home location, and just simply recalculate it's prefered route to the destination totally bypassing the programed route, which will really screw it up for me a leader!

As a second point, as indicated the Basecamp route is around 160 mile but when downloaded to the Sat Nav it increases to around 166 miles? At the end of the download a message appears at the top stating that it has recalculated on the device, 346, as it does not have the same maps, indication that the basecamp has different maps and routes to the 346?

The 346 has the latest maps and I have had the 346 connected to the PC whilst planning and then downloading.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and if there is a straightforward solution?

I'm only guessing here, but could it be something to do with avoidances and what you've got set on each??
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Most likely a slightly different routing algorithm or way of calculating the distance between device and BC. What I always do having sent a route is to compare the route on the device and the BC route to see if there are any minor differences.

As for your concerns, don't be, if you select the first point your zumo will then follow your route from there including shaping and viapoints.

As for recalculating due to different maps that is strange, are you sure the maps are exactly the same, same area, same name etc?