396 SD Card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 SD Card

Post by sussamb »

Ah ok, although with newer devices using mtp mode you may not see them as drives. Out of interest what happens when you switch to mass storage mode? To do that (don't have your device but this pretty much works for all Garmins):

1. Start device by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
(may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down the device and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
scooperhsd
United States of America

Post by scooperhsd »

Your steps to get there worked fine.
Now, I see both the Garmin Zumo drive (G:) , a Garmin drive (F:), and a CF (H:) . I'm assuming H: is the SD card drive hardware. Anyway, when I click on H, I get an error message of "Please insert SD card", even though I already have one installed. The kicker is that I can take that same micro SD card, put it into an SD card adapter, insert it into the PC's SD slot, and it sees it fine. This indicates to me that the SD hardware on the Garmin is not functioning correctly, which would probably indicate that I need to talk to Garmin about a 3rd swap... That SD holder in these is not very well designed....
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

I had no end of trouble in getting the SD card recognised. Also, the cardholder was of the worst quality, it would not lock into place with the card.

At one point the 396 suddenly stopped speaking, I think it had to do with the SD Card. Things got so bad, that I went back to the dealer to switch to a 595. (That also didn't work out too well with the battery issue.)

Soon (Jan 2020) I will be receiving a new bike (GSA) and then I will be asking for the Nav VI - perhaps that is better!
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Some card holders need you to use your finger nail or similar to push them in so they lock. On newer Drive models, at least on mine which is a DriveSmart 50, they just slide into the holder.