MyRouteApp

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

MyRouteApp

Post by tojjer »

Just out of interest, does anybody else use myrouteapp for planning routes?
If so, do you export the gpx file as GPX 1.0 or GPX 1.1 ?
Ukducatiman
Great Britain

Re: MyRouteApp

Post by Ukducatiman »

With MyRoute-App I always go with gpx v1.0 as it appears to work better. With the v1.1 I can get straight lines across my map without any waypoints.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I have found the best way so far, is to make a route using MRA, then save it as 1.0 before importing it into Basecamp. I then change all but the start and finish ( maybe a lunch stop in the middle too) to "do not alert on arrival". This makes them shaping points as opposed to waypoints, and you can have as many as you like. I then tell it to recalculate.
If we have to divert from the route, it does actually get you back to you planned route at the earliest opportunity. It's taken a lot of faffing around to get it to do this, as most of the time previously when diverting from a planned route, it just recalculated the route straight to the end destination.

If I make a route, save it as 1.0, but without running it through BC, it splits the route into multiple routes with 29 waypoints on each. I also find, if we go wrong at any time, it does not get us back to the planned route.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

As UKDucatiMan and Tojjer said, use v1.0 - it inserts routing points that the Zumo can recognise. V1.1 doesn't.

However - it recognises them as shaping points - you may wish to change some of them to Via points, so that at least a few appear in the list of points to choose when you press GO and are asked 'Where to Next'.

There is a big issue though. The map in MyRouteApp is not the same as the map in your Zumo. That means that some of the points will not be in the correct position on a road - which means that the Zumo will think that you have deviated from your route, and hence recalculate.

If the Zumo has recognised the shaping points, then they will appear on the map as light blue circles. It is worth checking that these exist. If they do, then when you go off route, it should take you to the next shaping point in the sequence, not to the end. If it takes you to the end, then something else is going on. Once the route has been imported, just check the transportation mode, change it from what it is to car, then back to motorcycle. Let it recalculate.

They have done a reasonable job in conforming to some of the Garmin standards, but it is not perfect. I tested it out a while back and found it more of a hassle than Basecamp to create routes, and in what I had to do to make it behave.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I use the Gold membership on MRA which does use the Garmin/HERE maps. So far, it's the only way I can get it to do what I want it to do.

I would just use BC, but I always mess it up making the route somehow, but that's down to me and not fully knowing what does what with it it.
And I leave it in car mode otherwise I found it sent me down some dirt tracks.