Staying with a pre-planned route

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Staying with a pre-planned route

Post by pidjones »

So far, the best way to simulate what my old 2730 would do with a pre-planned route (done in - whimper - Basecamp) has been to set the route activity profile to "Driving" and set the 396 to "Faster Time" and turn "Adventurous Routing" OFF with all sliders in it set to minimum. I like the connection to my Sena headset for turn instructions and the brighter screen, and of course it has more memory, expandable, can hold all of the maps. But! If the old 2730 had more memory and a brighter screen I would prefer it over the 396. Maybe after this upcoming (Tennessee to Arizona via US70) trip I will be more satisfied. Oh, and I could lock the 2730 in its mount and not worry about someone just pressing a button and walking off with it. Who does Garmin listen to when designing these?

Ok, so has anyone found a better way to keep the 396 on the route you planned?
mpenner
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Staying with a pre-planned route

Post by mpenner »

In general, the best way to keep Garmins following your route is to set the navigation mode to shortest distance and use lots of shaping points and/or via points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I've got the 346.
For the most part I use the paid MyRouteApp to design routes with lots of waypoints. It has gone wrong sometimes, but that's been mostly due to me not zooming enough when plotting the route. I tend to get things like I've clicked on the wrong side of a dual carriageway so it sends me up to the roundabout and back again to hit the waypoint on the other side of the road. As I said, my fault entirely.
The biggest problem I find with Garmin, is it's lack of ability to re-correct itself onto that planned route. I had to take a detour last year, and it got completely lost. It's 2019, why can't the unit detect it's deviated from a planned route, and then direct you back to that planned route automatically.
Having to press buttons and read menus to skip next plotted waypoint when I haven't a clue where I am is a pain in the ass.

What I do now is to absolutely fill my route with points to keep it on track. I also zoom right in to minimise any plotting mistakes. Takes alot longer, but if it reduces the cock ups, I'm all for that
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

I have the same problem with taking deviations from pre-planned routes, there always seems to be a road closed or diversion in France... last time I switched off the auto recalculate and kept an eye on the general direction for where my route is on screen (zoom out if necessary) and head back to rejoin the planned route which the Zumo seems quite happy with.
Previously I've tried keeping the auto recalculate on, and skipping a waypoint or two till I get back to the planned route. Problem is I don't always get the option to skip a waypoint while following a planned route, and the Zumo navigates it's self to the finish point rather than follow the plan.
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

I never had these problems of getting back to the route or missed waypoints on the old StreetPilot 2730. Just hoping I can find a way to fool the 396 into funtioning the same way.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

tojjer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 am I had to take a detour last year, and it got completely lost. It's 2019, why can't the unit detect it's deviated from a planned route, and then direct you back to that planned route automatically.
Well it will, all my Garmin devices have. Why yours doesn't I have no idea.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

sussamb wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am
tojjer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:24 am I had to take a detour last year, and it got completely lost. It's 2019, why can't the unit detect it's deviated from a planned route, and then direct you back to that planned route automatically.
Well it will, all my Garmin devices have. Why yours doesn't I have no idea.
I've never been able to get my Garmin to detect that I'm off the planned route, and have it auto direct me to the next nearest planned point. As mentioned by Dusty, I've had to zoom out and try and pick my way back to the purple line

What settings do you use please?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Which settings? Do you have auto recalculate on?
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

sussamb wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm Which settings? Do you have auto recalculate on?
no, auto recalculate is off. If it's on, it just seems to send me straight to the end destination as quickly as it can, not back to the route I planned
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Trip planner works in a simple way but knowing how it works is key to using it efficiently. If you have a route consisting of a start point (A), and end point (E) and 3 via points (B, C, D) then to start the route you'd normally select A, trip planner app would then direct you via B, C and D to E.

With auto recalc on if you deviate from the route between A and B, then a recalc will take place to get you from where you are to B, and then the route will be followed. The problem arises if you don't have any via points, then it will simply calculate the route to E (since B, C and D don't exist). This is also the case if B, C and D are shaping points.

If you want to be able to deviate and yet still pick up the original route at some point use appropriate via points.