File names on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: File names on SD card

Post by rbentnail »

Also, this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242&p=1525&hilit=i ... mory#p1525 gives helpful instructions about removing files from internal memory if you desire. I do b/c, as I stated, I never use internal memory for routes and waypoints, I use the SD card exclusively. I describe why in that same thread.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Controlu wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm Nowhere am I given the option of accessing the SD Card.
You won't get the option to access the sd card, it's automatic. If for example you have a map installed there it will simply be listed in myMaps along with any maps installed to the device. Any favourites you add to the card via your PC will just be subsumed into the main memory. If you add POIs you will get the option to load them to the device, or to not do so. Trips sent to the card are normally automatically imported on some models, but not on others. The point is that you never get to choose whether to use the card or not, it's all automatically done.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:40 pm sussamb is not a fan of using the sd card for route storage, it's well known.
That's not exactly true. On all my handhelds I do exactly that and store data on my cards. The reason I don't on automotive devices is that, in the main, any favourites and routes are simply added to internal memory anyway, so having them on the sd card has no real advantage, though it seems on your model that is not the case (all other models I've used or learnt about act differently)
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Controlu wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm In fact, I upload my routes in this manner to both the card and to internal storage. I then get the message when starting the 396 if I want to import the route or nor. When I say yes, is that route imported from internal storage or the card? Who's to know?
If I'm putting routes onto th SD card in my 595, I add the suffix SD to the card so that I know where the route to be imported has come from.