Phone audio gets dropped when Zumo 396 is turned on

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Lag
Canada

Phone audio gets dropped when Zumo 396 is turned on

Post by Lag »

Hi
New to Garmin Zumo 396,,.
I have it paired up to a Senna 30K, its accesses MP3 music files from my Android phone and gives navigation prompts via Senna Speakers
Seems when I try to receive a phone call its barely discernable,,, also if I'm on a phone call and turn on Zumo 396 it cuts the audio out,,.

I find the 396 phone feature redundant as it works fine without it between S8 phone and Senna,,.
Is there a way of running the Zumo 396 and having the phone feature disabled, seems to drop the calls off even when the phone Bluetooth selection is in the off position,,. Ex talking on Senna phone call and turn on GPS, call gets dropped even when phone selection in Zumo 396 is off?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Re: Phone audio gets dropped when Zumo 396 is turned on

Post by jfheath »

A very belated welcome to the forums.

I don't know the 396, but have loads of experience with the 550 660, 590, 595 and XT. With respect to phone and music and headphones they behave in a similar way.

It is important that you pair everything with the Zumo. Get the headphones paired first and ensure that navigation and music is coming through clearly.

Then pair the phone to the Zumo - not to the headset.

I suspect that the 396 will have a mixer within the volume control settings. If so there will be separate levels for each of music, navigation and phone. Depending in your earphones, there may be a master volume control, or that may be left to the control on the earphone.

It is common to get interruptions to the signal if you normally have your Zumo, earphones and phone connected to other devices. Break those connections when testing at home or near to such equipment that may be trying to connect.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stevenmichael
United States of America

Re: Phone audio gets dropped when Zumo 396 is turned on

Post by Stevenmichael »

Try doing this . Unpair your phone from the headset unit . Select the phone in the gps . I take it the calls are being dropped as you approach the bike and you are turning the bike on that’s starting up the gps . If this is the case if you don’t have your phone selected the gps is starting up the mp3 player and it’s switching the speaker to the gps which in turn switch’s it to the headset speakers once it’s turned on . But until it’s turned on it’s going to play the music through the gps speaker . I don’t know how your phone works but see what happens while you are inside and you are on a call and you turn on your mp3 player and start playing music . If it disconnects your call then the mp3 player starting up while you are on the phone is the problem . When you have the phone selected in the gps it splits the sound up 3 ways one for the phone volume one for the mp3 player and one for the directions .You can adjust the volume levels to suit your hearing needs with the 3 volume sliders in the gps . As you approach the bike turn on your head unit first ( make sure it’s not paired to your phone ) so when you turn in the bike it will pair to the gps only . Once the gps starts it will transfer your phone call volume and your mp3 volume both to the gps so nothing gets disconnected . Just put your helmet on and the person should be coming through the headset speakers . If you don’t have the phone selected in the gps but you have the mp3 selected it’s going to turn your phone speaker off and start up the headset speakers , And if you look in your phone you will see it’s no longer on the phones speaker but it’s connected to the gps unit .