395LM Stuck in boot loop

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Stotty
Great Britain

395LM Stuck in boot loop

Post by Stotty »

I have just updated the maps on my 395LM but the firmware has got corrupted in the process and the unit is now stuck in a boot-up loop.
Does anyone have a copy of the firmware so that I can re-flash it.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: 395LM Stuck in boot loop

Post by jfheath »

It is quite possible that you have the latest GCD file on your Zumo itself.

I've just checked on my 590. It is stored in the .System folder in internal storage.

The XT has a boot menu that you can access to restore the previous operating system - but I've only managed to get it to restore the current one. There may be such a menu on the 590 and 39x Zumos, but I don't know how to access those.

Anyway - back to the .System folder. This is hidden. To see it you have to put your device into Mass Storage Mode in the MTP settings.
To get to this, you have to tap the speed button bottom left of the map screen, then hold in the circular speedo - top centre - for 10 seconds.
In configuration and settings, select MTP settings.

Connect a USB cable and the Zumo should show up on your computer as a couple of drive letters, and you should be able to see .System
GUPDATE.GCD is the file to hunt for.

Once you have that you can create an RGN file and go through the procedure to restore the operating system

Sorry - I realise that you cannot do this on your own Zumo, but if you know someone who has the same model, that is how they can get you the software. Please note that I have never done this particular task, nor have I had a 39x in my hand.
I am speaking from my experience of using 590 and 595 software on my 590 machine. I did it the other day to get back to the 590.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stotty
Great Britain

Post by Stotty »

Thanks for the response - very helpful.
I also have a 390, so can get the firmware from that to hopefully get it back to life, then update to the latest 395 firmware.
Any idea how I can get it onto the 395 as it won't connect to my computer as it won't boot up.
Can it be done from an SD card?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Stotty wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:17 pm Any idea how I can get it onto the 395 as it won't connect to my computer as it won't boot up.
Can it be done from an SD card?
The firmware is installed before boot-up, so it requires a computer, a program and a special sequence to do it. I don't know what that is for the 390, but I could guess that it is the same as the 590. In which case I can send some instructions that I obtained from a very knowledgeable chap on a German website.

Once you know what to look for, this stuff is easy to find.

First, have you tried removing the battery and leaving it for a short while ?
And, if the Zumo is fully turned off, will the Zumo enter transfer mode when you plug in the usb cable so that you can see the contents on your PC?

You need a program to convert a GCD file into an RGN file.
Then you need another program that will transfer and install the RGN file to the Zumo via the USB cable before it boots up (or tries to)
Then you need the sequence to turn on and enter the pre-boot system mode.
You need headphones or speakers on your PC
Finally you need to practice the moves between turning on the Zumo, holding parts of the screen and getting your hand back to the mouse to trigger the install before it is too late.

I'll send you the stuff that I wrote up and the couple of programs.

BUT

It's all at your own risk.
I haven't got a clue whether this will work with your device.
And I haven't heard of anyone changing a 390 to a 395 - only a 590 to a 595. But then, I haven't been paying attention to 39x.

I need to get to my PC to get the files.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stotty
Great Britain

Post by Stotty »

Thanks, that'll be great.
I've nothing to lose by trying as the unit is just a paperweight at the moment anyway!
Cheers.
raza
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Slovenia

Post by raza »

Hello, I have a 345 lm zumo on the myth, which does not start after the last update. It starts loading maps, which takes quite some time, then crashes. When I connect it to the PC, the USB connection icon is loaded, the connection to the PC is not established, it resets after a while and this repeats itself indefinitely.
I get into preboot with Updater, but I don't have a real .gcd for Zumo 345_460. It seems to be from zumo 395 because the program reports that .rgn is not for this device.
Can anyone help me get a real .gcd or already converted .rgn file from model 345?
Thanks in advance.
daniel87
Been liked: 1 time
Hungary

Post by daniel87 »

Hy! My 395 does the same as yours. Have you fixed it? If yes how? Thanks in advice. How did you get to preboot mode? Can you send me a link to the Updater app?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hey @Stotty

Did the info that I sent in September for the 590/595 help, or was it completely useless ?

Curoius to know so that I can send similar info if it applies to the 395 as well.

daniel87
Hungary

Post by daniel87 »

hy @raza Have you repaired yout 345 zumo? How did you get to the preboot mode? If it is a 395 firmware can u please send it to me. Thats exactly what i need. My gps has the same problem as yours.

I left it on the charger for overnight and it started up after rebooted itself 200x or more, but as soon i pluged in the pc it get back to bootloop.
daniel87
Hungary

Post by daniel87 »

So, i have created a Garmin folder on the sd card, and copied a firmware renamed gupdate/GUPDATE in it, but nothing happens. I also tried the cure program. I created a cure version fw but the updater program says no usb device found. Any idea what can i try next? thx