Removing residue from old trips

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Removing residue from old trips

Post by Controlu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Plugging my 396 into computer and looking at the internal storage via base camp, I see many blue flag way points and Active Logs that still remain from trips out of state that I will not be repeating. How do I get them deleted from my internal storage? I can't do it in Base Camp cuz I don't get the option. The actual routs have been removed but I still have the residue.

sussamb
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 58 times
Great Britain

Re: Removing residue from old trips

Post by sussamb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am

I guess you're talking about the trip log? On older devices you could select clear trip log but on the newer ones I believe you just switch it off to clear it. I keep trip log recording permanently off so can't confirm that.

betthe
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by betthe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Using my 665 (not a 396) i see the following, using windows explorer

Please note, i am NOT using BaseCamp
Garmin Zumo (L:)
Removable storage (M:)

Looking at the (L:) drive, i have a folder "GPX", and in that folder, a file "Current.gpx"! I copy any files or folders to my desktop before deleting. The "Current.gpx" holds what i believe you are trying to delete.

You can not do this using BaseCamp...
Always make copies before deleting...

Wingstyle
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Not sure if it is the same on 396 but on the 660, you can delete some of the data on the unit under My Data and Favorites. You can get rid of the rest by deleting the current.gpx and temp.gpx files while connected to the computer, like Bethe said. Deleting the two gpx files may remove some of the same data as you can do on the unit. I can't remember for sure what all it removes.

I try to remember to delete both gpx files every time before I transfer routes. This is very helpful if you have a route with the same name already on the unit. Sometimes if you have the same name it will use the old route since it is in its memory.

Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Controlu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Thank you for the replies.

axil
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by axil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Not sure if you got the information you needed or not. I just got a 396 to replace my 660 and managing data is quite different. To deleted waypoints on the 396 go to "Saved" (via "Where to"), press the menu bar in the top left corner (indicated by the three bars), and then select "Delete Saved Places" from the menu. This will then let you choose which places to delete. You can also delete an individual waypoint by selecting it, then clicking (i) and then the menu, which will then let you delete, edit or share that point. Just like the 660 you can only delete data from internal memory by using the device itself, not from Basecamp.