WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by Scarecrow »

Vespamarc wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am There is a new cable from Garmin for the xt. People who swap there original cable receive this one.
First pic is original, second the new cable.

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-22 om 09.06.39.pngB149E269-89AA-4BCE-8740-8D92C65FB3AC.jpeg
Can someone help/advise
my Zumo XT arrived today but it has the old fitting do i need to wait and see if it goes the same way as many others have
or do I ring Garmin and ask for a replacement
I dont really want to get it all fitted on the bike just to have to take it all off again.
Also If I do have to replace it do I need to send every thing back or just the mount
Thanks Guys
I hope someone can advise
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Scarecrow wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:20 pm
Vespamarc wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am There is a new cable from Garmin for the xt. People who swap there original cable receive this one.
First pic is original, second the new cable.

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-22 om 09.06.39.pngB149E269-89AA-4BCE-8740-8D92C65FB3AC.jpeg
Can someone help/advise
my Zumo XT arrived today but it has the old fitting do i need to wait and see if it goes the same way as many others have
or do I ring Garmin and ask for a replacement
I dont really want to get it all fitted on the bike just to have to take it all off again.
Also If I do have to replace it do I need to send every thing back or just the mount
Thanks Guys
I hope someone can advise
I think that you will find that Garmin will only replace an item if it fails, ie the pins break or become displaced. You are correct in pointing out that it is a pain to have to dismantle the bike to replace the power lead.
The mounts are no longer causing issues since about April, so you would only have to return a faulty cable.
Somewhere in this thread is a photo of the latest lead with a 'raised moulded' area on the plug/pin end, it may be worth seeing if yours is like this prior to your install. You may already have the modified/latest plug.
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

Thanks Simon
I've just double checked against the photo on this thread and I do have the new style
Thanks Again
Del
crypkema
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by crypkema »

I contacted Zumo Customer Service back on August 31st and they put a new power cable on order for me. I was told that a new one would ship about mid-September. Mid-September came and went, so in the beginning of October, I called and they said the new cables would come in at the beginning of November.

It's now the beginning of November and I just got off the phone with them. I was just told the new power cables will come in the beginning of December.

If that actually happens, it'll be three months waiting for a power cable. :(

At this point, I'm wondering if I'll get a power cable by next Spring. Anyone else recently getting their power cable replaced successfully?

Chris
crypkema
United States of America

Post by crypkema »

crypkema wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:03 pm Anyone else recently getting their power cable replaced successfully?
Still no power cable from Garmin. Is anyone else having a problem getting a replacement? And if you did get a replacement, was it a new design or the same as the old one that will fail again?

Thanks,
Chris
azccj
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by azccj »

About a week ago I installed my new Zumo XT on my bike. Luckily it has the updated hot-shoe connector.
Zumozumba
Slovenia

Post by Zumozumba »

2 of a possible 5 contacts I had one disappear completely,now after a month or 2 my sat nav won't charge while I drive.

A lot of cash for a bag of mince.
crypkema
United States of America

Post by crypkema »

Contact Garmin Customer Service. They did send me a new power connector. I'll probably install it today. I can tell you, it looks different from the old one.

You're not out of luck entirely till you get the new connector. You get a decent amount of battery life in the device itself. Plus, you can power it through a USB cable. I did that for the several months it took to get the new connector.

Chris
Zumozumba
Slovenia

Post by Zumozumba »

Thanks. I'm awaiting a reply I just sent, thought I'd check here first.
crypkema
United States of America

Post by crypkema »

Zumozumba wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:59 pm 2 of a possible 5 contacts I had one disappear completely,now after a month or 2 my sat nav won't charge while I drive.

A lot of cash for a bag of mince.
Do you have a Zumo XT? Or a Zumo 595 or 396? The reason I ask is the XT only has two contacts, not five.

As much as I was upset at Garmin for screwing this up, in the end I had to sit back and think of why I bought the Zumo XT. It is simply the best motorcycle GPS out there.

I suspect they had a lot of problems with this...which is why the several month delay. Hopefully, they have it right this time, and also have a supply so you get yours soon. Look on the bright side...outside it is rainy and cold. At least this didn't happen in the summer. ;)

Chris