WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Re: WARNING - Garmin Zumo XT hot-shoe connector weakness

Post by mastercore »

I got my replacement cable installed now. Will be much more careful about it on my next off road tour. (starts in 1 week)
larsras
Denmark

Post by larsras »

I have got replacement for both mount and cable and went for a weekend trip. I still loose power connection 20 times / hour. What a piece if sh.. Will demand a return of my XT tomorrow!
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I got my replacement cable about two weeks ago (and replacement mount a month or two ago.)

The mount made the issue better but didn't solve it but since getting the new cable I haven't had a single power out.

..Tom
tourman
United States of America

Post by tourman »

I bought a Zumo XT few weeks ago. Haven't had any issues. Should I contact Garmin to get a new connector? Do they charge for them?
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

tourman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:50 am I bought a Zumo XT few weeks ago. Haven't had any issues. Should I contact Garmin to get a new connector? Do they charge for them?
If you only bought it a few weeks ago it will most likely have the updated mount already. If you look at the front face you should see what looks like a piece of horizontally mounted insulating tape between the bottom two fixing hole recesses. That, it seems, is just enough to provide a tight fit between the mount and the Sat Nav mounting face.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

The very early mounts that they changed under warranty has nothing to do with the pin issue that people are experiencing. The early mounts were allowing the main GPS unit to move slightly.

The pin breakage issue is even affecting people with very late model GPS units.
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

Hi follk
I'm considering a new unit either 595 or XT but wondered if Garmin have rectified the mount problem
Cheers in advance
Del
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

The mount has not been a problem for quite some time. Some people still appear to be having problems with the pins on the main power lead.
Personally if I were you, I would not even consider a 595. The XT is light years ahead. You may not know this, but the 595 has a battery connection problem, that Garmin never sorted & is still ongoing. I sold my 595 pretty quickly in April when the XT came out, and very glad that I did.
crypkema
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by crypkema »

It appears the pin issue in the mount is not resolved yet. My lower pin is cocked at an angle. I get power to it, but the power doesn't connect with the GPS. I've put in a request via email for a warranty claim.

Chris
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Post by Vespamarc »

My idea is, that the connector problems coming from the protection hood. most people push too hard on this. Ans it is mostly the lower connector who gives problems.
I and other people who using a 3D printed protector, don't have any problems with the connector.