Audio warning issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Audio warning issue

Post by Hati »

I updated to software version 2.7 and had a short ride today. Can confirm that at least for me, it did not fix the issue, the alert tone is still there when speed zone reduction is coming up. I had high hopes this update will fix this...
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

[mention]Jefro[/mention], can you provide your settings (see Hati's post #3) and can you describe where and under what circumstances you get these audibles?

I am in Southern California and have not gotten these alerts.

Thanks!
Northernlanes
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

there's been an issue with alerts for ages, on my previous 395 and my new XT, it's not just the warnings for speed reductions but all of them (sharp bends, schools etc), i believe it is bluetooth and/or music player related, sometimes the beeps work sometimes they don't with bluetooth connected to a headset/phone, if you turn off the music playing the beeps usually always work.
I brought this up with Garmin a couple of years ago, they even sent me a replacement 395 which did exactly the same thing., it's not something I think they'll ever fix, whether it's software or hardware related I don't know
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

[mention]Northernlanes[/mention] I switched from a 595 to the XT and there were no audio issues of this kind for the 5 years or so I used the device.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I am in discussion with Garmin ove this issue and some others.

This issue has nothing to do with points of interest of proximity.

As you approach a lower speed zone the system beeps a warning. It is not anything else that is triggering this. As it beeps the "speed sig changes colour a a warning displaying the lower speed

I did the latest upgrade Tues or weds and went out today to narrow down exactly when it happened. i went into lower speed zones from higher speed zone about 2. Times.

If the XT is controlling music it does *not* beep. This can be playing mp3's from the XT or controling music from the phone (I tried with Tune-in radio and "cloudplayer", an mp3 player on my phone. ) I am pretty sure before the last update it would have beeped with the phone music

It *always* beeped before a speed zone when playing music on my headset. (FM radio on my Cardo packtalk Bold.)

I suspect that something in the XT software knows when it's playing music and doesn't interfere but when it is not controlling music directly a beep escapes and causes the headset to play the beep.

..Tom
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

[mention]V-Tom[/mention] I can tell you that having the intercom active does not make the difference you experienced with music playing. I don't listen to music on the bike at all, but I use intercom a lot with Mrs Hati. The warning interrupts the intercom (no beeps so we can't tell the intercom was suspended) and then I get the almighty beep for the speed zone. The intercom then reconnects eventually.

I did not get a chance to try this again since updating to 2.7, I had a solo ride and found that the bloody thing still cannot be silenced. Intercom test tomorrow.
V-Tom
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

Yes I wasn"'t clear.

If the XT is playing music I don't get a beep.

If the XT is not playing music I get the beep (and the resultant muting of the headset as it reacts.)

I am in discussion with Garmin and today we went over several scenarios. Even with every setting related to sound including the mixer settings shut off it still beeped.

Garmin opened up a ticket.

..Tom
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

Had another ride today with the wife on the back. I can confirm that using intercom also stops the beeps with the 2.7 update. I have heard nothing from Garmin on my open ticket as yet.
Jefro
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Jefro »

My settings...

2018 Gold Wing with music on USB stick running through the bikes audio to wireless headset.
J and M Bluetooth headset paired to bike for music and phone calls.
Samsung phone (no music) paired to bike.
Deleted Garmin Drive app from phone.
XT paired only to J&M headset.
Zumo XT, Software Version 2.50, all notifications turned off.
Settings, Driver Assistance,Rider Alerts: all disabled, speeding alert settings: off, route preview checked, break planning disabled, incident detection disabled.

In town riding 45mph zone, approaching 35mph zone, about 1/4 mile away from new lower speed zone...
With USB music playing, still get audible warning tone and about 8 seconds of silence before music returns.
This audible warning happens at every new speed zone, and cannot be turned off. Very irritating.

According to my conversation with the tech people at Garmin, it is a "feature, not a bug".
I told them I want the OPTION to disable this alert, just like all the others.

"Hello Jefro,
There is a way to disable some alerts.
Unfortunately, the speed limit reduction alert is not one of them.
Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Kristi
Product Support
Garmin International"
CRracer
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

That'd be annoying. Wonder if my friend that bought one will say anything?

"Hello Jefro,
There is a way to disable some alerts.
Unfortunately, the speed limit reduction alert is not one of them.
Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Kristi
Product Support
Garmin International"