zumo XT First (and continuing) impressions

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: zumo XT First (and continuing) impressions

Post by jfheath »

I cannot duplicate the fault that [mention]Tom Schmitz[/mention] reported. But I am trying this on the 595, not an XT and the two don't necessarily behave the same in this respect.

I emptied my internal memory of transferred routes before doing this (from Windows Explorer on my PC, you cant get rid of them from the Zumo). I also cleared out all of the previous imported routes from the Zumo screen. I did this because each newly imported route was creating 9 additional routes. I wonder if Tom hit a different limit to do with the total number of routes in internal memory ?

I tested modifications to your route with 31, 32, 249, 250, 251, 254, 255, 256, 257 and 296 Via Points. The results were that all of them imported fine.
31 Via Points imported without splitting (as I commented above, but thought I would check again.
32 Via Points was split into 2 routes.
249, 250, 251 Via Points all split into 9 routes, 8 of which had 31 points in them. The last was obviously shorter.
255, 256, 257 Via Points points also split into 9 routes (I was half expecting a limit at 255 Via Points. (255 being the biggest number in binary with 8 digits.)
296 Via Points split into 10 routes (half expecting there to be an issue with continuing a split route into double digits.

But - this is not an XT. I'll keep my routes to test it when I get my XT - but apparently, no new XTs have entered the country yet. I got a phone call this morning. They were supposed to be in Southampton today, but they haven't arrived yet. But one of them has my name on it. .....

Would it be unkind to start a rumour that they have got lost ? :lol: Not bothered too much. With the lockdown, I am not going anywhere anytime soon.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm But - this is not an XT. I'll keep my routes to test it when I get my XT - but apparently, no new XTs have entered the country yet. I got a phone call this morning. They were supposed to be in Southampton today, but they haven't arrived yet. But one of them has my name on it. .....

Would it be unkind to start a rumour that they have got lost ? :lol: Not bothered too much. With the lockdown, I am not going anywhere anytime soon.
Garmin UK site has changed to the second quarter for delivery of the XT :(
Skipper
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

Same here in Sweden.
Hopefully it is because they have decided to incorporate TPMS for the XT.
2010 Vulcan 1700 CT (Nomad)
RV Kabe Travelmaster 880 LT Royal
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Oop North John wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:16 pm
That started yesterday, didn't it ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:53 am
communicator wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:08 am For @jfheath
The maximum value of 29 isn't entirely correct. The satnav says that it 'nnnnn has more than 29 Via points. Route was split into 9 trips'. But if you create a route with 31 Via points, it will accept that without splitting it. Ditto 30 points. 31 is the absolute limit for the number of Via points in a single route.
The confusion comes in because the beginning and destination points are not VIA points. Routes are in fact limited to 29 VIA points plus a beginning point and ending point. Look at a beginning or destination point in the route properties window and you will notice there is no option to convert it to a shaping point.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

But they were Via Points when I put them into the route, before the system split the route into 9 parts. And the start and end behave like Via Points - except as you correctly state, you cannot change them. I assume that is because the characteristics of a shaping point wouldn't suit. They need to announce. They need to appear in the list of destinations when starting the route, they need to be able to appear in the data display, and they need to be shown as flags on the map.

But I agree that start and finish are a particular type of point - in that the route HAS to have them. That isn't true of any other type of point.

Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the fact that routes are limited to 29 VIA points, a beginning point and a destination point, which was what I was trying to point out.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 pm
Oop North John wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:16 pm
That started yesterday, didn't it ?
I guess so, so we might get them in the next couple of months, assuming the factory is able to make them etc etc :(
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Strange that Garmin UK is behind the curve on delivering these things.

I opted to get mine through Touratech, a company I seldom do business with. Touratech is a fairly large force in the ADV community and my impression is that they have a good connection with Garmin as a result. I thought they would be one of the first in the US to be able to deliver the XT, even ahead of such concerns as GPScity and The GPS Store. They did deliver as promised and were quite quick to follow up with an accessory order (an additional mount kit and a carrying case).

However, all three of the aforementioned now show the XT as a backorder.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited sez:
"You cannot delete posts in this forum."

Well, that's just silly. :lol:
Last edited by Tom Schmitz on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.