Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
auke54
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Netherlands

Transportation-mode change

Post by auke54 »

Hello,
Something remarkable happened today. I received a route from someone in the club to ride in the near future, designed in Basecamp.
For the first time I looked at the transportation mode in the GPX file. It stated 'TourCycling'. Hmm, not what I expected but on the other hand, what would happen when I shared this with my XT.
No problem as it seemed. The route was smoothly imported in the Trip planner.
To see what the XT had in it's planner I shared it back to my PC to inspect it as a GPX file.
To my surprise: the transportation mode had changed and..... it changed to 'Motorcycling'.

I can imagine the XT does not know about 'TourCycling'. It does know three separate usage modes though, 'MotorCycling', 'Driving' and 'Off Roading'. But maybe these modes have nothing to do with the 'Transportation mode' in the GPX file or the 'Activity Profile' in Basecamp.

Having said all that, my questions:
Why did the XT change this mode during import, and when it did, why change to 'Motorcycling' and not one of the other available modes?
And, is there any possibility I can control this kind of fall-back behaviour?
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 608 times
Great Britain

Re: Transportation-mode change

Post by jfheath »

I was just looking through unanswered topics and came across yours @auke54 .

Sorry that you didn't get a reply at the time......

You are correct. The XT will default to 'motorcycle'' if it doesn't recognise the transportation mode in the GPX file.
It only recognises car, motorcycle and direct profiles from Basecamp.

Also it will default to Faster Time routing preferences if it doesn't like the setting in the gpx file. The only other one that it seems to accept is 'shorter distance'.

So not off-roading, not curvy roads.

I haven't tried editing the gpx file directly. You may be interested in my report on this behaviour.

app.php/ZXT-P38

This sort of behaviour isn't unique to the XT - the 590 and 595 did something similar, but all 3 are different from each other.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
auke54
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Netherlands

Re: Transportation-mode change

Post by auke54 »

Thanks for your reply @jfheath
In the time between the initial post and now you and others posted a lot of info here that made me aware of this behaviour(and more). Thanks again!
Regards, Auke
XT (SystemSoftware 6.30)