Are POIs a work in progress?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Vaguely Certain
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Are POIs a work in progress?

Post by Vaguely Certain »

Hi all,
I have a new XT and I have installed the latest maps and software. I took it on a local area ride-out at the weekend and I was surprised by the fact that although some of the local cafe's and pubs appear on the screen as I was travelling past them, there are many that are missing. Obviously I know they are there but I guess that stranger riding into the area would not.
With the XT connected to Basecamp (Windows 10) I can zoom into my local area on the Europe NTU 2021.1 map and I can see that the cafe's and pubs in question are not indentified by a POI on the map. I have also looked at an adjacent coastal county and I see that there are some hotels cafe's and pubs that are not marked on the map.

I am wondering if my original download is missing a file/map or is it the case that the creation of the POI's is an ongoing project?

Many thanks, Steve.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Are POIs a work in progress?

Post by sussamb »

Garmin POIs rely to a great extent on being informed by third parties. I've never found them particularly up to date.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Same thing here in The States. Garmin is way behind on POI's and those that do show up are not accurate or up to date. I learned long ago that Garmin general POI's are not to be trusted, that's what a smart phone is for!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Vaguely Certain
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Vaguely Certain »

Thanks for clarifying the situation.
I have used the reporting feature on basecamp to report a couple of the missing POI's and Garmin say that they will pass this on to their mapmaker. Maybe one day they will be added to the map?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

If it's a POI that I might need I just use Base Camp to mark it as a waypoint. I name it and add it to my Saved places on the zumo.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A