Saved track statistics

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ianchapp
Has liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Saved track statistics

Post by ianchapp »

Probably me being dumb, but I can't see how to view the data of a saved track? Not really needing all the 'Stopped Time', 'Moving Time', 'Average Speed' etc. Just the length would be good!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Saved track statistics

Post by jfheath »

This is for a PC.

In basecamp, import the GPX file from your satnav. Or you can drag and drop the active log file from windows and drop it into any list folder/list in Basecamp.

Double click the route you want the info for.

Track Log.jpg
Track Log.jpg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

This shows the first few entries of a list that has about 1500 entries and covers about 77 miles. At the top of that window is a tab for Graph. You can select speed or elevation. Alongside is another dropdown so you can super impose Speed on top of Elevation. Or vice versa. As you move the mouse along the graph, a figure moves along the track to indicate where on the map that point is.

Track Log Speed.jpg
Track Log Speed.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

Track Log Elevation.jpg
Track Log Elevation.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

I find this sort of data a very useful record of where we have been over the years. (I use MemoryMap to show it on a UK Ordnance Survey map.). The Zumos keep a certain number of log files (20 on the 590), after which it erases the oldest and creates a new one. They are stored in GPX/Archive and are numbered consecutively. The most recent trips are not added to the Archive folder. They are saved in Current.gpx (590/595) or CurrentTrackLog.gpx (XT). This file can also be accessed, but it will be added to the next time you go out, and will continue to grow until the satnav decides to add it to the archive folder and start a new one.

It takes quite a while to start overwriting old log files. For me it will be 2-3 months when I was doing about 10K per year. Keep an eye on it and you will get an idea of how frequently you need to download them without losing any.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

Thanks, I've use MapSource and Memory-Map for around fifteen years!

I meant on the XT ?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah - sorry.

I can get an elevation profile of a track, but not a speed profile. Not so far, anyway.

Track->select the lower tab on the right hand side of the screen (looks like a calculator)->choose date/time for the active log****
Then click the spanner tool and select elevation profile. But it isn't like the facility you get on memory-map or on basecamp.

****The list that is displayed shows the length of the trip in that log - but as you will know, a log file does not necessarily contain the entire trip. You could work that out from the date and time that is displayed.

The elevation profile also shows the distance covered in that log file.
Last edited by jfheath on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

I can see how to do that with the Active Log, but not saved tracks. Am I missing something?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No - I couldn't see how to do it with Saved Logs either. But the Active logs record everything anyway without having to set it going (although it can be turned off). I like to keep it running, it records my trips without me having to do anything, and I download them every couple of months or so. I think Garmin think that people will use the online link to their Explore App which will probably do it. I don't know - I have dabbled with it, but I am not a fan.

ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

OK thanks.

So I'd guess most people would be saving tracklogs in case they wanted to repeat (maybe reverse) at a later date.

I'm sure the first thing anyone would like to know is 'How long is it?'. Seems very odd that this basic stat is missing!
zhamid
Canada

Post by zhamid »

I wish I saw this before :-).
I was debating between Garmin and Tomtom and Track Recording was one of the reasons why I got the Garmin.

However, I can't find a way to see the average moving speed or max speed (in Garmin Explore, it does show the basic data). I am really bumed out, is there any way of seeing this view again from saved tracks?
Attachments
TrackRecorder-1.jpg
TrackRecorder-1.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
ianchapp
Great Britain

Post by ianchapp »

The data is all there in the GPX (which is only ever "You were at this point at this time" etc).

It's just that the Zumo XT interface doesn't show it. If we're hopeful, maybe they'll do it in a firmware update. But I won't hold my breath :lol:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You can get an elevation profile by loading the tracks app - as in your picture, click the track icon in the top left corner and on the right hand side you have two tabs - top one represents tracks you have recorded with the app, the bottom one gives access to the tracks that are always being recorded - these are listed by date, and there may be a few for the same date. Click on one of them, and it shows the track on the map. Click the spanner, top left corner and there is an option to show the elevation profile.

Like this.
18330.png
18330.png (111.76 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

However, a better bet is to use Basecamp. I don't know how much experience you have with it, but when you connect a PC to the XT with a USB cable, you can see the contents of your XTs memory, lower pane, left hand side. I don't know where the recorded tracks are shown - I guess they will appear in the same window, but the always-being-recorded Active Logs are in there.

Click on the appropriate date, and the track shows up on the map - Labelled Active Log with a date and a time.
Click on that and the track will appear on the map. Probably in grey.
Zoom in on the map to see it more clearly. Each of the little dots represents a position, speed and elevation reading.

Double click the track - either on the map or by its name in the lower left hand window of Basecamp, and you get a table which looks like this
BC Track Data.jpg
BC Track Data.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Which gives you elevation, time, speed, course, date, position. You can select this and copy the entire table to paste into a spreadhseet if you are so inclined. (Click on a row in the table, CTRL-A to select all, CTRL-C to copy to the clipboard).
Or double click on a row, and the map will zoom into that point to show you where you were doing 187mph.

At the top, there is a tab - Graph.

Click that tab and it will give a speed or elevation profile. You can choose which one from the frist drop down list on the right. You can add the other to the same graph by choosing it from the second drop down list.

Like this
Combined Speed & Elevation.jpg
Combined Speed & Elevation.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
As you move the mouse along the line of either graph, a little figure is plotted onto the Basecamp map, to show you exactly where you were on the map at that point on the graph.

All very interesting stuff. Note - as pointed out above - the speeds are the snapshot figures obtained fromt he satellite. All data from the satllite is prone to errors, and it usually takes a few reading and a complex average calculation in order to be able to get a reasonable value. The graph smooths these figures out, but if you plottted the data in the GPX file, it would be very spikey. It is impossible for anyone to use that data and say that at this particular point you were travelling at 187mph. However, they can say with very good accuracy that your speed between these two points was 163mph. You may have noticed that when you accelerate, the speed indicated on the satnav lags behind your bike speedo ? It needs the extra data to work it out.

For anyone that has MemoryMap software - the gpx log files load directly into there and you can do the same sort of things using maps such as Ordnance Survey.