Zumo XT: reliable bluetooth connection (traffic data)? TomTom doesn't, making it unusable

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Garminista
Great Britain

Zumo XT: reliable bluetooth connection (traffic data)? TomTom doesn't, making it unusable

Post by Garminista »

Does the Garmin XT have a reliable bluetooth connection with Android phones?

I ask because my TomTom Rider 550 doesn’t: the connection is so unstable that the traffic data is basically unusable. One day it works, one day it doesn’t at all, one other day it comes and goes.

TomTom refuse to replace or refund because they say that it is a “known software issue” (so what? It still makes the thingy unusable) and that they are “working on it”.

I am trying to see if the store where I bought it might replace it with a Garmin Zumo XT, but first I’d like to understand if Bluetooth is any better.

Does yours work fine? What phone do you have? Have you ever complained to Garmin about Bluetooth connectivity? Do you know of anyone being told by Garmin: “sorry, our Bluetooth doesn’t work but suck it up, we ain’t gonna refund you” which is basically what Tom Tom is saying?

Thanks!

PS The TomTom has a good connection to the bluetooth headset in my helmet, it's with the phone that's temperamental.
Garminista
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT: reliable bluetooth connection (traffic data)? TomTom doesn't, making it unusable

Post by Garminista »

PS It seems that the bluetooth connection issues on TomToms are caused by the "Bluetooth Low Energy" protocol which, despite having been around for quite a few years, is still not supported very well by all phones. Does anyone know if the Zumo XT also uses BLE?
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Re: Zumo XT: reliable bluetooth connection (traffic data)? TomTom doesn't, making it unusable

Post by V-Tom »

Yeah its very reliable, at least it is with my Samsung S20 +5G. If I have an issue its usually because I turned off the Bluetooth.

..Tom
Tor4
Been liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by Tor4 »

Everything is great with my S10 edge. The connection is reliable. I've never heard of the "Bluetooth Low Energy" protocol". How does it work?
Blauer
Germany

Post by Blauer »

Hi there,
I had the same problems, and others, with the TomTomRider. :o
After Months of asking questions and failures from the support, I decided to buy the Zumo XT.
And what shall I say, it works very very good. :D
The bluetooth connection to my Samsung S7 Edge and to my bluetooth headset is very stable.
I haven't regretted buying the xt. ;)