temporary setup

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
me29
United States of America

temporary setup

Post by me29 »

Hi:

I am looking to purchase a Zumo XT...have some questions.

I don't want a permanent mount on the bike, just when I need it.

I would like to have power going to it besides the battery.

Any suggestions?
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: temporary setup

Post by Hati »

me29 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm Any suggestions?
Yup, just mount it without a power cable. Make sure you charge the device before you set off. The XT should be good for 2 to 3 hours on a charge, maybe more, especially on lowered screen brightness.

Or sell your bike and buy a car ;)
me29
United States of America

Post by me29 »

Hati wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 pm
me29 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm Any suggestions?
Yup, just mount it without a power cable. Make sure you charge the device before you set off. The XT should be good for 2 to 3 hours on a charge, maybe more, especially on lowered screen brightness.

Or sell your bike and buy a car ;)
I have both thanks. Can I use the usb connection instead? I have a 2020 heritage and with the mount it just looks very clunky. Would only need the Zumo for long distance rides by myself.

wanted originally to use my phone (iphone 11) on the bike but got talked out of it because iPhones have a tendency to overheat and the vibration of the bike is determental to the camera. I was hoping the zumo would be an option.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Could you do it? Yes
Is it advisable? No

The USB connection is not meant to handle vibrations, nor is it meant to charge the unit while in use. It is primarily a data transfer tool when connected to a computer. It is not a waterproof connection, so it subjects the unit to water intrusion if you get caught in the rain with the rubber flap open.

You could modify the power cable, shorten it (you just can't remove the box that steps the voltage down), and connect a cigarette plug, or Battery Tender cable end on to it and make it so you can just pull the mount and the power cable off when you are not using the XT.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

I'm kind of lost here. I get you don't want the permanent power connection fitted to your bike, but unless you use the factory mount, how exactly are you going to affix the XT to your bike?

Regarding the power cable, you could always splice the XT end of the genuine power cable to a USB lead, so you can just plug it into a USB socket, removing the need for the voltage reducer (in the box on the genuine cable). Lots of information about the wiring on the net to help you with the splice. You would still need the mount though.

Like TripleThreat719 mentioned, the USB connection in the back of the unit is not weather/water proof. I can see it working OK if the vibrations on your bike are not bad, but it's not something I would use as an alternative.
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Would be nice if somebody came up with USB lead power lead. However, the mount connector is not the simplest to replicate.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

The odd time I have my XT in my car it seems to charge just fine with the USB charger that comes with the car kit

..Tom
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Running in the car via the USB is not the issue. In the car there is no vibration or moisture.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

me29 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm Hi:

I am looking to purchase a Zumo XT...have some questions.

I don't want a permanent mount on the bike, just when I need it.

I would like to have power going to it besides the battery.

Any suggestions?
As you do not wish to mount the unit permanently, the only option will be via a 'Ram' type mount that you can then unscrew off the bike.
You will need to use the bike mount onto the rear of the XT as there is no other way of holding it.
As others have mentioned, if you try & use the XT with the USB on a motorcycle, the vibration will ruin the female socket. The first time you get caught in rain you will get moisture in the USB, they are not designed for what you are planning to do.
Some users on hear that do not want a permanent power solution, just fit an SAE plug to the power lead so that it can be removed from the machine along with the mount.
See here post #371 https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-z ... 53/page-19.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

simoncrewe wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm
V-Tom wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:22 pm The odd time I have my XT in my car it seems to charge just fine with the USB charger that comes with the car kit

..Tom
Running in the car via the USB is not the issue. In the car there is no vibration or moisture.
I was responding to people suggesting the XT won't charge while in use with USB.

Personally I think it's dumb trying to use USB on the bike.

..Tom