Only 1024 songs

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Johnny
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Only 1024 songs

Post by Johnny »

First, I'm a newbie to this forum although I'm not a newbie to forums generally. Still, please excuse any mistakes I make because of my ignorance.

I think this question has been answered to some extent, but I'm hoping at least one person here will take pity on me and give me the exact, step-by-step instructions necessary to fix the problem I seem to have.

I do have a zumo XT (that's not wired to my bike yet). Several times now I've loaded all my music to the 64-gigabyte SD card that's installed on the XT. The problem is that, no matter what combination of ways I've tried, the XT will recognize only 1,024 of the 4,800 or so songs in the AllMusic folder on my laptop.

I don't know whether it's a coincidence that the number of bytes in a kilobyte is 1,024, but, needless to say, I want to be able to listen to all my music, not just 1,024 songs.

It has been suggested, if I interpreted correctly, that I need to copy at least one MP3 file to the XT's internal memory, but if that's the solution to making all the remaining songs appear, I would ask for those exact step-by-step instructions. If that is not the solution, does anyone here have any idea what is?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: Only 1024 songs

Post by axamax »

I don't know if it will help but on my SD card I have the mp3 folder, which contains a folder for each artist containing that artists songs.

I know at one point I had over a thousand songs on the zumo 595. I've got rid of some tracks on the XT simply because I was bored with them.
Northernlanes
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

as far as I'm concerned there is a software issue on the XT regarding this, my previous Garmin was a 395 and it worked perfectly with an SD card with 4500 mp3s on it, the same card in the XT will only recognise 1024, likewise putting the mp3s into internal memory (MP3 folder) has the same effect.
I've messaged Garmin about this and after many replies to try various remedies the last email I had off them (today) is attached.
I firmly believe it is a software issue that needs looking into, I even suggested to Garmin that it is possible that the XT does actually play all the mp3s but it displays the 1024 message in error 🤔 (difficult for me to test) , either way it appears they are going to look into it but i think it could be a good idea for others to email Garmin as well
Attachments
IMG_20200528_213639.png
IMG_20200528_213639.png (221.12 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Johnny
United States of America

Post by Johnny »

northernlanes and all,

FWIW, I do have the 4,800 songs organized under a single folder named MP3, and each folder thereunder is the artist's name, followed by the album folders, followed by the individual songs' MP3s. This is how I think the SD card is supposed to be organized but if I've made a mistake please let me know.

Whenever you do receive a substantive reply from Garmin, please do let us know what it is and whether the solution worked for you.

Does anyone else with this problem feel like an unpaid beta tester?
Northernlanes
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

I think it's an XT software issue, because the exact same SD card works fine on my Zumo 395, will all 4500 mp3s on it playable 🤔
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Johnny wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm Does anyone else with this problem feel like an unpaid beta tester?
For at least 2 yrs now, yes.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Johnny
United States of America

Post by Johnny »

FWIW, here's the email between Garmin and me.
Hello Johnny,

Thank you for informing us of this issue. It appears as you said others are having this problem and we have an open case. You have been added on the opened case and will be contacted when we have more info.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Christopher
Product Support
Garmin International
>> Original Message ...
>> From: [email protected]
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: RE: zumo XT << Reference ID: 16659879K0 >>
>> Sent: 29/05/2020 19:41
>>
>>
Friday, May 29, 2020
>>
>> Anthony:
>>
>> I tried a 32-gigabyte card from a different manufacturer. Both the 64-gig card and the 32-gig card play fine through my laptop, which is a Windows 10 PC. All the files are in MP3 format and they’re all in a folder under the root called MP3, first sorted by artist, then album, then individual MP3 songs. Nothing else besides the album art is on the card. Some of the songs were ripped from CDs I own and some were downloaded.
>>
>> As I imagine you know, Anthony, I’m not the only zumo XT purchaser who has discovered this problem. I hope my answers above help you solve it.

--Johnny
http://barelybad.com Laugh Think

>> Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 6:14 PM
>> Subject: Re: zumo XT <Q#:1000050> << Reference ID: 16659879K0 >>

Hello Johnny,

Sorry to hear you're having some difficulties there. Are you using a MAC or PC? Are all the files in mp3 format? Are these songs that you purchased with licenses or were they downloaded?

First thing I would do is try a different card.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Anthony
Product Support
Garmin International
>> Original Message ...
>> From: [email protected]
>> Subject: zumo XT
>> Sent: 28/05/2020 17:18
>>
>> Web Self-Service Email Form Submission

>>
Description: I do have a zumo XT (that's not wired to my bike yet). Several times now I've loaded all my music to the 64-gigabyte SD card that's installed on the XT. The problem is that, no matter what combination of ways I've tried, the XT will recognize only 1,024 of the 4,800 or so songs in the AllMusic folder on my laptop. I don't know whether it's a coincidence that the number of bytes in a kilobyte is 1,024, but, needless to say, I want to be able to listen to all my music, not just 1,024 songs.
I'll try to remember to reply to this forum if I receive a substantive response, but if you're having this problem you might want to write Anthony or Christopher or somebody at Garmin ([email protected]) just get on the list that Northernlanes and I are on. Also, it might be that the more people write them to complain, the faster Garmin will solve this problem.
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

This was sent to me by Garmin on 30th May:
Hi Francisco,

Our apologies about the delay in replying. We are currently experiencing high volumes and are working our hardest to answer as soon as possible.

In terms of the device only reading 1024, this is a limitation as the unit officially will be reading up to 1000 so it is by design. I have reported this in case it could be changed in the future.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Tiphaine

Garmin Europe
d127fatcat
United States of America

Post by d127fatcat »

So Garmin is going to leave at 1,000 songs ? or are they going to fix it ?
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

d127fatcat wrote:So Garmin is going to leave at 1,000 songs ? or are they going to fix it ?
Probably it depends on the number of people asking an increased number os songs supported (since they also removed Spotify).

At least, that was what they told me when i questioned them about not being able to choose which apps we want to receive notifications from like we did with the 595LM and the Smartphone Link...