Traffic data in Europe: Garmin vs TomTom, which is better?

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
Garminista
Great Britain

Traffic data in Europe: Garmin vs TomTom, which is better?

Post by Garminista »

I am based in the UK.
Have you ever compared the coverage and quality of the traffic data for TomTom vs Garmin?

Many years ago I remember comparing a TomTom, which would receive traffic data through an integrated sim, with a Garmin with traffic data via FM radio, and TomTom was much better, more comprehensive.

I have no idea if that has changed, especially because Garmin will discontinue FM traffic and leave only the Live Traffic app thing.

Have you ever compared the two?
Does Garmin provide data also for city roads or only for motorways?
Is there any official data on what the sources are?
At one point, TomTom partnered with Vodafone to infer traffic data from the Vodafone mobile network; no idea if that is still in place, or if Garmin has anything similar?

Thanks!
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: Traffic data in Europe: Garmin vs TomTom, which is better?

Post by Dusty ST »

My OEM sat nav in the car is Tom Tom, and I'm guessing it receives traffic data over FM radio, as there's no SIM card.
In my experience it's not very good, and in typical Tom Tom fashion it's not logically displayed, apart from the offer to re route and avoid the problem which is a simple yes/no, but with no offer to preview, I guess that a might be safety concern, it's not good to be peering at a screen while driving!
I usually turn down the offer to re route which usually seems to be the better option, but with no preview of the alt route who knows....
What I've not done is compare the information with what ever the Garmin finds.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No idea about TT but Garmin traffic does more than just covering motorways, both in UK and in France, where I regularly drive.
Garminista
Great Britain

Post by Garminista »

sussamb wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 am No idea about TT but Garmin traffic does more than just covering motorways, both in UK and in France, where I regularly drive.
Thanks. So Garmin does show you traffic in inner city roads in London, Paris and the like, right? Have you had a chance to compare the traffic data with anything else, like Waze, TomTom, Google Maps?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, not done any comparisons as don't use Waze etc