Lacking?

Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Lacking?

Post by Stu »

Is it just me or are the POI's that are already with the Garmin's a bit lacking?

I was on a recent trip and I have the up ahead display showing for fuel stops restaurants and B&B's we past many along the way but a lot of these never showed on the mapping at all!

Am I missing something :?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Lacking?

Post by sussamb »

Probably not. Unless folks update the data held by HERE, the company that supply the maps to Garmin, they won't appear. Modern units now also have the FourSquare database which is more up to date but still not perfect.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Well that's a shame as there is a lot missing!

There's not much of a database to add more either!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I've never depended on Garmin to be up to date on such things. I update my device once, maybe twice per year so how can it be reliable? No, I use my Google phone for that. My experience has been that the Garmin is about 95% with roads and the phone is about 95% with everything else. I am rarely in a hurry and don't mind pulling aside to check out what's around me. Plus I do NOT pair, nor do I intend to pair, my phone with my 595. I use them as two distinct separate entities- the last thing I need is to depend on confused Bluetooth comms and one overriding the other and compromised info from both. The 595, from everything I've read, is lacking in the comms dept. so I choose not to play.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

I just installed 2019.20 and see some improvement in POI but still lacking. I have wondered if the map comapnies require a fee for inclusion in the maps. I have noticed that some long established and well known restaurants are not included.