CN Europe NT 2020.2

johnarthur
Been liked: 6 times
Wales

CN Europe NT 2020.2

Post by johnarthur »

New update for the older Garmins now available. Downloaded to both my 550 and 660 without problems.
Westy
Great Britain

Re: CN Europe NT 2020.2

Post by Westy »

Seems to act just the same as the original 2020.1 on my laptops, unfortunately.
That is, I can (and have) updated my Zumo 660 without issue, but neither of my Basecamp versions, (Win 7, or Win 10) on my laptops, update. The only way to use the 2020.2 maps, is to have the 660 plugged in to the appropriate laptop.
I have checked in the Garmin coresystem files, and find a .cab1 file has been downloaded, but not extracted to the Garmin file system.
I have emailed Garmin support, and currently awaiting a reply.
Both Garmin express, and Basecamp are the latest versions, and were updated prior to attempting the map update.
I will update here when / if I get a response, unless someone posts one sooner.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

When you use Garmin Express to update, do you check the bit that says "install to device and PC" (or similar)?

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
Westy
Great Britain

Post by Westy »

Alan, yes, but the only update is to the 'device' not the computer.
Now the 660 is updated, I've also tried to install to computer, but again get an error and no update to Basecamp maps.

The last update from Garmin (2020.1) behaved exactly the same, until Garmin fixed a bug.

For info I've had acknowledgement of my email from Garmin, asking for details of what I was doing when the issue arose, and am awaiting a reply to that email.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Windows machine ?

Try running Garmin Express as administrator.

Also, i noticed a different in file structure with recent releases. It puts files where you specify and a shortcut where the files used to be stored. Find out where on your system the working maps are located, and install the files there. (Using the Express text entry box - overwriting the default) This cured all sorts of problems for me.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Westy
Great Britain

Post by Westy »

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried redirecting the maps already, but there are no maps being downloaded.
All Express seems to download is a (150Mb or so, if I recall) small .cab1 file in the 'coreservice' folder
instead of the temp map files of 7Gb or so.

I will try running as admin, but, having had the same experience with the last map update, I'm not
holding out much hope.

Still no update from Garmin.
Westy
Great Britain

Post by Westy »

Thanks jfheath.

Managed to get Basecamp updated running Express as admin (something I never even give thought to usually)
I do also think Garmin may have been tweaking at their end, because running everything as default, Express got to 44.8% and 'updating maps' before failing, whereas originally I got the error message before displaying any dowload, or install percentage.

Bottom line is the maps are all sorted.