How to put maps onto your PC

Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 am
alan sh wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am Two things.

Can I see the XML file too?
What happens if you take the memory card out and then connect it to Express? Does it still think the maps are up to date?

Alan
Hi Alan,
I'll pm you the xml file.
re: removal of memory card. should I first switch off the zumo before removing the memory card?
not quite sure what's gone wrong. I tried to pm you the xml file but the pm is sitting there in the outbox folder, not the sent messages folder.
The pm to sussamb is in the sent folder. Is there a limit on how frequently/many personal messages can be sent?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It'll sit in the outbox until the other person reads it ...
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am
sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am OK, your device definitely should have a NT map and not NTU, so how you've got the 2013 NTU map is a mystery. Did you buy the device as new or was it second hand?

I had no trouble installing the map offered by Express to a cloned device so it should be working for you. Now you've deleted the two xml files and let your device recreate one try Express again and see what happens.
It came with the bike which was 2nd hand, so yes it is a 2nd hand zumo. sorry for not mentioning that earlier.
But the guy had only ridden about 2000 miles in 2 years, so I kinda figured he wouldn't have messed up the Zumo.

Right now I have just the one freshly created garmindevice.xml file and I've reconnected the zumo to the PC, but Garmin Express still shows up the 2018 NT map, as if that is installed.
Capture8.PNG
could there be something wrong with my Garmin Express install? I just installed it to the default file location.
Then I suspect he loaded a pirated map, it shouldn't have a NTU map on it. As for Express reporting you're up to date what do you see when you click on Map Options? You should see a reinstall option. Try that.

Alternatively search for all files ending in img. Delete all but gmapbmap.img. Then try Express again. Note that the main map is in the hidden .system folder, and supplementary ones should be in a folder named Map. There is a Map folder on your card so delete everything in it also.

In order to see the hidden .system folder on your Zumo you need to make Folder View Option changes in Windows as follows:

Windows 8 and 10:

1) Open the Control Panel. (Right click on the Windows square in the bottom left of your computer screen. Select Control Panel and click on it.)
2) Inside Control Panel, click on "Appearance and Personalization", then "Folder Options" or “File Explorer Options". This will open the File Explorer Options window.
3) Inside the File Explorer Options window, click on the "view" tab.

Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
Remove check mark for “Hide Empty Drives”
Remove check mark for “Hide protected operating system files” (Recommended)”

Windows 7:
1) Open Windows Explorer and select Organise, Folder and Search Options
2) Click the View tab.
3) Uncheck ‘Hide protected operating system files.
4) Check ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am
sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am OK, your device definitely should have a NT map and not NTU, so how you've got the 2013 NTU map is a mystery. Did you buy the device as new or was it second hand?

I had no trouble installing the map offered by Express to a cloned device so it should be working for you. Now you've deleted the two xml files and let your device recreate one try Express again and see what happens.
It came with the bike which was 2nd hand, so yes it is a 2nd hand zumo. sorry for not mentioning that earlier.
But the guy had only ridden about 2000 miles in 2 years, so I kinda figured he wouldn't have messed up the Zumo.

Right now I have just the one freshly created garmindevice.xml file and I've reconnected the zumo to the PC, but Garmin Express still shows up the 2018 NT map, as if that is installed.
Capture8.PNG
could there be something wrong with my Garmin Express install? I just installed it to the default file location.
Then I suspect he loaded a pirated map, it shouldn't have a NTU map on it. As for Express reporting you're up to date what do you see when you click on Map Options? You should see a reinstall option. Try that.

Alternatively search for all files ending in img. Delete all but gmapbmap.img. Then try Express again. Note that the main map is in the hidden .system folder, and supplementary ones should be in a folder named Map.
right now, the memory card is out. and file search cannot find any img files on the internal storage. would the search actually look in a hidden .system folder?
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 am
sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am

Capture8.PNG

Alternatively search for all files ending in img. Delete all but gmapbmap.img. Then try Express again. Note that the main map is in the hidden .system folder, and supplementary ones should be in a folder named Map.
right now, the memory card is out. and file search cannot find any img files on the internal storage. would the search actually look in a hidden .system folder?
I've tried the reinstall map options in Garmin Express, without the memory card being installed, and it doesn't seem to have made any obvious changes. on the zumo, under my installed maps, it still shows only the 2013 map.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 am right now, the memory card is out. and file search cannot find any img files on the internal storage. would the search actually look in a hidden .system folder?
No it won't so do what I said to show it. Once all the map files are gone Express will load the up to date map and the 2013 one will be gone.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 am
Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 am right now, the memory card is out. and file search cannot find any img files on the internal storage. would the search actually look in a hidden .system folder?
No it won't so do what I said to show it. Once all the map files are gone Express will load the up to date map and the 2013 one will be gone.
so now I've read all the messages - must have missed the part about making the system volume visible.
I followed the instructions - windows 10, and unchecked the protected part.
Right now the external memory card is still out, but zumo connected to PC.
when I search for *.img files, I still can't find any.
and nor is the hidden system file visible (despite the changes you indicated)
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Check you've done it correctly as it works for all Garmin devices. If you are absolutely sure you've followed the directions exactly then it may be you need to switch your device to mass storage mode.

1. Start device by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
(may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down the device and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:53 pm Check you've done it correctly as it works for all Garmin devices. If you are absolutely sure you've followed the directions exactly then it may be you need to switch your device to mass storage mode.

1. Start device by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
(may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down the device and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
Hi, so I followed the instructions above. The zumo wasn't set to mass storage. after that I could see the .system folder. But I couldn't see any maps.

Anyway, I then followed earlier suggestions of using Garmin Express to reinstall the map (2018.20 according to Garmin Express).
so this has removed the 2013.40 map.
But I now have no map(s) at all other than the basemap on the Zumo. I have tried repeating with Garmin Express. but still no difference.
And I still can't see any sub folder called maps
Any suggestions?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If Express has replaced the 2013 map with 2018.20 it will be in the .system folder, Map folder is only used for supplementary maps.

Check to see if you have a gmapprom.img file in the .system folder

If not did you allow Express to complete the install and did you do a safe eject from your PC?

Also have you rebooted your Zumo? If so what shows in Settings, Map & Vehicles, myMaps?

(If necessary I will send the map files I've downloaded against that xml file you sent me directly to you to place in the .system folder, if you get to the stage where that's necessary pm me your email address)