How to put maps onto your PC

Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 pm Well it wouldn't be the first time Garmin website was wrong, so given Adobney has a NTU map it should be simple enough to run Express, it will detect the map and install the up to date one, which is 2018.30
should be simple enough. but it doesn't work. I still keep getting Garmin Express saying that NT 2018.20 is uptodate and installed. and yet I can't even see it any where on the zumo nor am I able to select any map other than the 2013.40 NTU map. I'm stumped
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes but is that when you select your Zumo in Express or your 1490?

If it's your Zumo then try deleting it from Express and re-adding it. IF you only have 2013.NTU on your Zumo and IF you do have lifetime maps and IF Express is working correctly you will be offered an update. The fact you're not means something you're telling us or doing is wrong.

Are you able to take screen shots at the various stages and post them here, both of the display on your Zumo when you select map info and the various stages of Express? Also if you're prepared to pm me and send me the garmindevice.xml file from the Garmin folder on your device I can check exactly what the situation is with your 340.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sorry for being dumb, but I'm not that familiar with using the forum. I'm trying to add an image (screenshot of Garmin express), but am unable to work out how to do this. Is there somewhere that explains how to do this? If I click on the icon "insert image" then I get Image and I can't figure out what to do next.
cheers
Andrew
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Adobney wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:46 pm sorry for being dumb, but I'm not that familiar with using the forum. I'm trying to add an image (screenshot of Garmin express), but am unable to work out how to do this. Is there somewhere that explains how to do this? If I click on the icon "insert image" then I get Image and I can't figure out what to do next.
cheers
Andrew
Click on reply scroll down and you will see a few tabs just a bit under the submit button click on attachments click add files the select the file from your computer
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

Stu wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm
Adobney wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:46 pm sorry for being dumb, but I'm not that familiar with using the forum. I'm trying to add an image (screenshot of Garmin express), but am unable to work out how to do this. Is there somewhere that explains how to do this? If I click on the icon "insert image" then I get Image and I can't figure out what to do next.
cheers
Andrew
Click on reply scroll down and you will see a few tabs just a bit under the submit button click on attachments click add files the select the file from your computer
Thanks Stu.
OK so this is what I see in Garmin express with Zumo connected
what I see in Garmin Express with zumo 340 connected
what I see in Garmin Express with zumo 340 connected
Capture.PNG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
I'll try to get a pic of just the my installed maps from the zumo itself.
cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well that's suggesting you're up to date with 2018.20 NT, yet you say you only have a 2013 map showing and it's the NTU version. The two don't compute so I am now lost, which doesn't happen often.

So, in an attempt to work this further:

The card you have installed, what size is it and is it formatted FAT32?

If you look at the card in Windows Explorer, what is listed in the Garmin folder? And map folder if there is one?
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:15 pm Well that's suggesting you're up to date with 2018.20 NT, yet you say you only have a 2013 map showing and it's the NTU version. The two don't compute so I am now lost, which doesn't happen often.

If you look at the card in Windows Explorer, what is listed in the Garmin folder? And map folder if there is one?

to begin with, as was suggested earlier, here's a pic of what I can see on my zumo itself.
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG (169.3 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
when you talk about the card installed, I'm not 100% with you. There is an internal memory and a (SD?) card. this is what
file managers shows
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (39.98 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
and in BC you can see the same situation really
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
are you referring to the internal storage or to the memory card?
once again, sorry for being so dim
cheers
Andrew
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:52 am Yes but is that when you select your Zumo in Express or your 1490?

If it's your Zumo then try deleting it from Express and re-adding it. IF you only have 2013.NTU on your Zumo and IF you do have lifetime maps and IF Express is working correctly you will be offered an update. The fact you're not means something you're telling us or doing is wrong.

Are you able to take screen shots at the various stages and post them here, both of the display on your Zumo when you select map info and the various stages of Express? Also if you're prepared to pm me and send me the garmindevice.xml file from the Garmin folder on your device I can check exactly what the situation is with your 340.
in the internal storage I can see two garmindevice.xml files. I'm guessing this probably doesn't help matters.
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (72.05 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
which of the two should I pm you?
cheers,
Andrew
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:15 pm Well that's suggesting you're up to date with 2018.20 NT, yet you say you only have a 2013 map showing and it's the NTU version. The two don't compute so I am now lost, which doesn't happen often.

looking at my computer itself, I can see the following info about the 2018.20 map
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (195.04 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
not sure if that helps or not
cheers
Andrew
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

Regarding size and formatting, this pic shows the info I can see about the internal memory. It does not indicate either way if it is FAT32. And I can't even see a map folder in the internal memory.
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (133.28 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
and this pic is about the memory card
Capture6.PNG
Capture6.PNG (96.85 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
indicating it does have a map folder

but it also has a Garmin folder
Capture7.PNG
Capture7.PNG (133.48 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
and again no inidication of FAT32