How to put maps onto your PC

alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

How to put maps onto your PC

Post by alan sh »

I've written a very short Word document to explain how you get maps onto your PC which can be used by Basecamp or Mapsource. You can find it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p2fc3cb5ezyi ... .docx?dl=0

Any queries, let me know

cheers

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

Hi Alan, I've just read through your short guide, and that is exactly what I have been doing. So I now have the following maps in Basecamp.
City Navigator Europe NT 2017.2, 2018.1 and 2018.2

My zumo is a 340 model, with a map from 2013.
If i try to install a later map (one of the above that are available on my pc) via mapinstall then mapinstall indicates that more than one map is installed (ie the original 2013 map plus one of the later versions.

but when I disconnect the zumo after completion and zumo starts up again, then the only map details I can find refer to the 2013 map.

And when I send (from Basecamp) a route prepared in BC to my zumo it says that the route has to be comverted to the map version on the zumo because the map version in which the route was created is not installed on the zumo. despite me having tried to do this.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong?
My 2013 map is a NTU version, but the later maps are NT versions. Is that possibly a reason why things are not behaving?
cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not necessarily, but I'm confused by the fact you have a NTU map on your device but are downloading NT maps to BaseCamp. How are you obtaining these NT maps? You should be being offered NTU maps if your device has lifetime maps?
alan sh
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Things to check.

1. Does your 340 have lifetime updates? if so, use Garmin Express to get the maps updated. If not, you will need to purchase the latest NTU map. That can be copied to your PC.
2. You must use the NTU maps with your 340. The NT maps won’t work.
3. You can create routes with your NT maps and you can then transfer them to your 340 using Basecamp. But I am unsure what the 340 will do as the maps are 4 or 4 years ahead of the one on the 340. It may attempt to recalculate or it may just ignore them.
4. You only need the latest map on your PC, the others are redundant and just take up space.

I hope this helps a bit.

Alan
Alan
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:10 am Not necessarily, but I'm confused by the fact you have a NTU map on your device but are downloading NT maps to BaseCamp. How are you obtaining these NT maps? You should be being offered NTU maps if your device has lifetime maps?
    I'm using Garmin express, and "it" puts the maps on. I'm not aware of seeing a choice between NTU and NT. Yesterday I was googling, and found some sites which gave the impression that the possibility of NT or NTU existed until some time ago, but that these days everything was NT. Although some updates eg 2018.1 would be an update for NTU, whereas 2018.2 would be an update for NT.
    Adobney
    Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

alan sh wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:26 pm Things to check.

1. Does your 340 have lifetime updates? if so, use Garmin Express to get the maps updated. If not, you will need to purchase the latest NTU map. That can be copied to your PC.
    2. You must use the NTU maps with your 340. The NT maps won’t work.
    3. You can create routes with your NT maps and you can then transfer them to your 340 using Basecamp. But I am unsure what the 340 will do as the maps are 4 or 4 years ahead of the one on the 340. It may attempt to recalculate or it may just ignore them.
    4. You only need the latest map on your PC, the others are redundant and just take up space.

I hope this helps a bit.

Alan
    Hi Alan,
    1. it's a 340LM, which I'm translating as lifetime maps. I use Garmin Express to update the maps.
    2. that's what I suspected, but then I don't understand why Garmin Express installs NT version maps.
    3.When I try to transfer the routes, created in NT on BC, I get a message saying that they'll be recalculated because the routes were created in a different map.
    4. I have different versions of maps available in BC ( perhaps I should mention that I also have nuvi 1490 T with lifetime maps). As i said, I have the 2017 NT and the 2018.1 and 2018.2 maps. How do I delete the 2017 and 2018.1 from BC?

curiously, when I connect the zumo to the PC, and open BC, then in addition to the abovementioned maps, I also see the NTU 2013.4 map. But when I try to install the map from the zumo to the PC it doesn't install the 2013.4
    On the zumo itself, I see under my maps installed - CN Europe NT 2018.20 and CN Europe NTU 2013.4 Western Europe traffic trends Europe 3.75. I can deselect or select both of these maps.

Under Device - about, detailed maps, I see detailed map dates from 2013. nothing later

thanks for having taken the time to respond
    cheers
    Andrew
    alan sh
    Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

1. Yes, you have Lifetime maps.
    2. Neither do I. That is weird.
    3. That is normal.
    4. Delete old maps from Windows Control Panel-> Programs

If you connect the Zumo to the PC and open BC, it will try and ALSO use the maps that are loaded on the Zumo - so that is normal.

On the Zumo, I don’t understand how it has loaded the NT version. That is weird too.

DO you live anywhere near Rochdale by any chance? I’d love to connect your Zumo to my PC and see what BC and Express see.

Alan
    Alan
    sussamb
    Has liked: 306 times
    Been liked: 353 times
    Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I suspect part of this problem has just been revealed in that the OP has two devices so BaseCamp and Express may have map updates from both of them and they may be being applied to the wrong devices. What I would do is remove all the maps from my PC so BaseCamp has no maps installed. All those extra maps should show via Control Panel.

Then open Express and delete both devices from Express. Now connect your Zumo, add it to Express and see what Express now offers. It should update both your PC and Zumo with the appropriate and correct map.
    Adobney
    Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

alan sh wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:03 pm 1. Yes, you have Lifetime maps.
    2. Neither do I. That is weird.
    3. That is normal.
    4. Delete old maps from Windows Control Panel-> Programs

If you connect the Zumo to the PC and open BC, it will try and ALSO use the maps that are loaded on the Zumo - so that is normal.

On the Zumo, I don’t understand how it has loaded the NT version. That is weird too.

DO you live anywhere near Rochdale by any chance? I’d love to connect your Zumo to my PC and see what BC and Express see.

Alan
    Hi Alan,
    regarding BC showing the maps loaded on the Zumo, I had hoped by trying to install the maps on the zumo to the PC that I could then plan routes in BC with the 2013 (Zumo) map being ticked and that these would be accepted by the Zumo. Obviously a route created in BC on a map not installed on the Zumo is going to end up being recalculated.

don't live anywhere near Rochdale, but thanks for the offer
    cheers
    Andrew
    Adobney
    Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 am I suspect part of this problem has just been revealed in that the OP has two devices so BaseCamp and Express may have map updates from both of them and they may be being applied to the wrong devices. What I would do is remove all the maps from my PC so BaseCamp has no maps installed. All those extra maps should show via Control Panel.

Then open Express and delete both devices from Express. Now connect your Zumo, add it to Express and see what Express now offers. It should update both your PC and Zumo with the appropriate and correct map.
    Hi Sussamb,
    I'm going to try your suggestion this evening. thanks for your help
    cheers
    Andrew