How to put maps onto your PC

sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by sussamb »

Adobney wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:36 pm in the internal storage I can see two garmindevice.xml files. I'm guessing this probably doesn't help matters.
Capture3.PNG
which of the two should I pm you?
cheers,
Andrew
There shouldn't be two xml files there, delete both then reboot your Zumo, it will create a new one. PM me that new one.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:07 am
Adobney wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:36 pm in the internal storage I can see two garmindevice.xml files. I'm guessing this probably doesn't help matters.
Capture3.PNG
cheers,
Andrew
There shouldn't be two xml files there, delete both then reboot your Zumo, it will create a new one. PM me that new one.
when I try to pm you the forum says that xml files are not valid as file types for attaching. I tried using the attach file facility. Is there another way to attach xml files to a pm? would it work if I save as a different file type, pm it to you and you rename it as an xml file?
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Adobney wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:30 am
sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:07 am
Capture3.PNG
cheers,
Andrew
when I try to pm you the forum says that xml files are not valid as file types for attaching. I tried using the attach file facility. Is there another way to attach xml files to a pm? would it work if I save as a different file type, pm it to you and you rename it as an xml file?
I will fix that for you give me a few mins :)
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

[mention]Adobney[/mention] try it now [mention]sussamb[/mention] let me know if the xml files come through OK for you as I may need to tweak things a little :)
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

Stu wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 am @Adobney try it now @sussamb let me know if the xml files come through OK for you as I may need to tweak things a little :)
cheers for that Stu
I also tried to add you to the pm as well
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Two things.

Can I see the XML file too?
What happens if you take the memory card out and then connect it to Express? Does it still think the maps are up to date?

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

OK, your device definitely should have a NT map and not NTU, so how you've got the 2013 NTU map is a mystery. Did you buy the device as new or was it second hand?

I had no trouble installing the map offered by Express to a cloned device so it should be working for you. Now you've deleted the two xml files and let your device recreate one try Express again and see what happens.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am OK, your device definitely should have a NT map and not NTU, so how you've got the 2013 NTU map is a mystery. Did you buy the device as new or was it second hand?

I had no trouble installing the map offered by Express to a cloned device so it should be working for you. Now you've deleted the two xml files and let your device recreate one try Express again and see what happens.
It came with the bike which was 2nd hand, so yes it is a 2nd hand zumo. sorry for not mentioning that earlier.
But the guy had only ridden about 2000 miles in 2 years, so I kinda figured he wouldn't have messed up the Zumo.

Right now I have just the one freshly created garmindevice.xml file and I've reconnected the zumo to the PC, but Garmin Express still shows up the 2018 NT map, as if that is installed.
Capture8.PNG
Capture8.PNG (55.81 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
could there be something wrong with my Garmin Express install? I just installed it to the default file location.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

alan sh wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am Two things.

Can I see the XML file too?
What happens if you take the memory card out and then connect it to Express? Does it still think the maps are up to date?

Alan
Hi Alan,
I'll pm you the xml file.
re: removal of memory card. should I first switch off the zumo before removing the memory card?
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

so I switched off zumo, removed external memory card.
now it looks like this in file manager:
Capture10.PNG
Capture10.PNG (53.7 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
and then started up Garmin Express and get this (i.e. same as before)
Capture9.PNG
Capture9.PNG (57.5 KiB) Viewed 4845 times