Temporary Files left on Hard Disk After Map Updates

Bob
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Temporary Files left on Hard Disk After Map Updates

Post by Bob »

If you update the maps regularly, it is worth checking for, and deleting, temporary files on your computer (this applies to Windows PCs, I'm not sure what happens on MACs).

When my laptop hard disk suddenly became too full to carry out Windows updates, I remembered reading the following on the VFR forums:
The problem is when you download Garmin map updates they go into a temporary folder, BUT after the update is complete these huge files are not deleted. Using the method below I recovered over 60GB of disc space!

The fix:

1. Press the Windows key + "R" to open the "Run" command.

2. Type in %programdata%\garmin\coreservice\downloads\map and then press "Enter".
(Or you can use file explorer to go to C:\programdata\garmin\coreservice\downloads\map.)

3. Here it will list all the maps (in folders) it still has stored in temporary memory. Just have a look at the size! Right-click on a map folder you want deleted.

4. Select "Delete".

5. When prompted, confirm you want to delete the folder.
Now, the map should be in your recycle bin. If you empty it, you will gain space back on your hard drive.
I deleted them all and all was good, my laptop was able to complete updates :-)

Bob
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: Temporary Files left on Hard Disk After Map Updates

Post by Dusty ST »

Not sure if this still applies, but you can also uninstall old map versions, the old maps appear as installed programs (or apps as they like to call them now) to save quite a large chunk of HD.
Bob
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Bob »

Yes, that will remove the old installed Maps that you no longer need, but it does not remove the temporary files identified in my post.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Bob, thanks for this info. I checked my laptop and (as I've not had it long) found only current maps.
Just out of interest, I checked my old laptop that I thought I'd deleted all the old maps from---guess what, there was 60GB of temporary files cluttering up my hard drive!!
Cheers, Pete.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM