Europe NTU 2019.20 update to 390

Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Europe NTU 2019.20 update to 390

Post by Dusty ST »

I've just updated my 390 to Europe NTU 2019.20 maps, couple of things concerning me...
Express didn't give me the option to install to PC when installing the update, and the new maps are split into two img files named 'All north' and 'All south' Europe on the 390.
The install to PC is now a separate option on Express, which fails with an error message.
Everything is up to date, I've reinstalled BC, and there's plenty of room on all the drives.
Is this happening for everyone?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Europe NTU 2019.20 update to 390

Post by sussamb »

The EU map has been split for a while, as it had exceeded the FAT32 4Gb limit.

The fact the Install to pc was a separate option will be because you didn't have the full EU mapset installed on your device, as to why you can't now install it to your pc I don't know. You say you got an error message, what was it?
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Previous version of 2019.20 caused me problems with the install. I suspect that they've rushed out this update to the update as on a recent trip to France / Belgium, the mapping was to put it politely, not reflecting reality of roads that had't changed their location for many years.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I've seen no such issues on earlier maps so I don't think this one was 'rushed out' as you put it. There will always be map errors, just like there are in paper maps the day they are released. I regularly travel in France and haven't seen an error in years but it does depend on road builders etc to notify the various map providers, but you can notify HERE, who supply the maps to Garmin, of any errors you spot, directly at https://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/ ... 507,10,0,0 or via Garmin at https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces
Dusty ST
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

sussamb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:12 pm The EU map has been split for a while, as it had exceeded the FAT32 4Gb limit.

The fact the Install to pc was a separate option will be because you didn't have the full EU mapset installed on your device, as to why you can't now install it to your pc I don't know. You say you got an error message, what was it?
I'm fairly sure the last Europe maps were in one piece as I've just completed a trip to Europe that includes crossing the France Luxembourg border a couple of times, which is where the split now occurs (perhaps the split was in a different position?).
Thankfully I held off the update till I completed my planning as BC won't allow the two halves of Europe to be displayed at the same time, so to view my route I need to swap between displaying North and South maps as the split is along the France Luxembourg border. This didn't happen when I was planning the route back in June/July.
When I swap between maps in BC I get a suggestion from BC that the selected map is installed on the PC, would I like to use it? However the map address goes back to the Garmin, and doesn't work when the Garmin isn't plugged in.
The error message when attempting to install to PC, and I forget the exact wording, was in Express and appears as a red banner across the Express GUI saying something like 'There has been a problem' so nothing helpful :roll:
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Depends what you mean as 'last', the split occurred at least two editions ago. I agree BC can't display both halves which is a pain, but the map that Garmin install to your PC is a 'one piece' map so once it's on the PC there is no issue, it's only a problem if you're trying to read them from the device.

If Express is struggling to install the map to your PC run through the steps in this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=u ... 0wfUYR2QY9
Dusty ST
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

Thanks for responses!
Tried all that, or all the relevant bits, still not joy :(
The way it's looking is there's a problem either with the Garmin servers, or my ISP as the map file download appears to stall and time out, so I'm going to leave it for a week or so and try again.
I suppose I've not realised the file has been split until having this problem as the Zumo works seamlessly across the split line.