CN EU 2021.20 NT

David
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: CN EU 2021.20 NT

Post by David »

I appreciate your help and input, thank you. I'm not very savvy when it comes to PC and Sat. Nav. technology etc., and am rather nervous about screwing things up myself. It's been a challenge for me to get an acceptable result. Hopefully, going forward, I'll continue to be able to install UK & Ireland on my device, then select the other areas of Europe needed for a particular bespoke tour e.g. France & Spain as now installed using MapSource. I'm now confident enough to delete and re-load maps to the sd card as required for the time being.

Perhaps other users will get some benefit from the discussion within this thread.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Have spoken to Garmin again this morning. The conclusion seems to be that because the latest 2021.20 map update is around 10GB, deleting files from the device internal memory is unlikely to provide sufficient space for Europe North or South to be installed on the device, with the other/remainder being sent to the sd card. Because of this, I'm not going to start deleting files from the device. Garmin were not sure if you can have a second attempt to install further maps to the sd card using MapSource or MapInstall. Don't know whether this would overwrite the maps already downloaded. Sounds like it's now best to leave well alone and continue to use the device as posted above.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Garmin should know :roll:

However the answer is:

If you send another map it will probably delete the one you sent earlier. I say probably because it's a while since I needed to do it. However the answer is simple, just rename the map file already on the card then send another one.

This assumes your 660 is one capable of accessing multiple map files on a card. Later devices do and earlier devices didn't but I don't know where on that spectrum the 660 sits. A simple test will reveal that to you.
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

Yes, one day I might have a go at sending more maps to the sd card. But meanwhile, I've selected mainly all of France & Spain for a possible trip this year. Whilst sufficient coverage can be achieved within the 4GB limit, can't see the point in messing around any more.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Can you put the SD card in your PC and send the maps to it there?

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

alan sh wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:24 pmCan you put the SD card in your PC and send the maps to it there?
No, the sd card needs to be inserted into the device. When transferring maps, Garmin Express, MapSource or MapInstall all require the device to be connected to the PC . You are then prompted to select where to send the maps to, either the device internal memory or the sd card within the device.
Snurrepus
Norway

Post by Snurrepus »

alan sh wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:24 pm Can you put the SD card in your PC and send the maps to it there?

Alan
If you install MapSource 6.16.3 (or older) you'll be able to send the maps to the SD card in your PC.
Honda Varadero XL1000VA 2008
Zumo 660
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

And BaseCamp :D
David
Great Britain

Post by David »

How do you send maps to an sd card not installed in a device and directly via the PC. Garmin Express, MapSource and MapInstall (BaseCamp) all prompt you to find the device then select the internal memory or sd card.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp will send maps to any sd card it can see, even if not in a device. Some maps might not be able to be sent unless you clone your device, see http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231