Garmin Express no Longer Allows Map Downloads To Computer

carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Garmin Express no Longer Allows Map Downloads To Computer

Post by carolinarider09 »

The newest version of Garmin express (at least this is the first time I have tried it in a few months) Version 7.1.0.0, does not allow you to download Garmin Maps to your computer.

The option still exists on the PC based version of Garmin Express, that is you connect your device and then you have an option, if you scroll down, to down load the maps to your computer.

Doing this will allow you to use Mapinstall to puts maps on the SD card of the 665.

It worked under the last version of Garmin Express. Don't know what changed. Just know it is an option that I could not find on the news version for the MAC.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Re: Garmin Express no Longer Allows Map Downloads To Computer

OK... I figured it out. It was operator error and also the way the Garmin Express icons work on the Mac.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That's the sort of problem I like to solve - one that already has the answer ! Glad you got it sorted.

Express and Mapinstall seem to make a habit of 'hiding' the option to copy the maps to the computer (I have only used PCs). In one version, it looked like you were looking at the complete screen, so no reason to want to scroll down the page - but that was where the link was to add the option to install maps to different places. That caught me out a few times.

For the XT, there are a couple of maps (Topo) that don't seem to be able to be loaded on the PC.

It might be worth posting what you missed - because if the new version can fool you, it will certainly catch someone else out too.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
carolinarider09
United States of America

I shall see what I can do. If I remember it was that when I moved the cursor over the area, nothing happened. Which I assumed meant it was not an active location.

However, again if memory serves, if I did put the cursor on it and click the track area, there was a response.

I shall endeavor to recreate it and include some photos/pics
denny
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by denny »

Anyone have some help figuring this out?

I just updated to 7.4.10. and I cannot find any option to install the maps onto my computer.
Before the update that option was there ..

UPDATE.... I suppose some have figured this out, anyway

I connected my old Zumo 550 to the newly Clean installed OS X 10.15.7 MacBook Air.
Garmin recognized it and allowed me to install the latest City Navigator maps onto the computer.

So if you have an old Garmin unit with lifetime map license that's one way around this horribly inconvenient omitted function by Garmin.
The latest Garmin Express does have that feature for some (maybe all) older devices.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - that worked for me too - except I didn't need to plug in the old unit. If I selected my 595 from the Express Home Screen with the XT still plugged in, I got the option to install to the PC.
Presumably, at some point you need to have set up the home screen by adding a new device. I think it then reads that device and its serial number.
I am not sure how it does this - it thinks my 590 is a 595, simply because I told it that it was, rather than using the serial number. But the 590 and 595 seem to have the same hardware.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You all may know this but you don't need to have your device connected to download the maps to your PC.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sussamb wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 am You all may know this but you don't need to have your device connected to download the maps to your PC.
If I ever did know this, I had forgotten - I think I always update PC and Zumo at the same time, so it hadn't cropped up recently - so thanks for that reminder @sussamb .

Except - this is not the case if you click the Zumo XT icon - if you have one - on the home screen. Eg - I have two Zumos set up - my %90 and my XT - so my home screen looks like this.
XT Home Screen.jpg
XT Home Screen.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 11811 times
Clicking the 590 allows you to install the maps to PC OK. If the Zumo XT is plugged in, clicking the 590 icon allows the map to be installed to the computer.

If you click on the XT, there is no option ot install to the computer AND any attempt to access either of the map links forces you to connect the XT before it will go any further. Like this:
XT Express Plugin.jpg
XT Express Plugin.jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 11811 times

-------------

Just for future reference. When I reported the issue on 16 March - as I hope many others have done, I was asked a number of questions and was given this link:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=y ... tab=topics

It is a page which describes how to install the maps to the PC - in the same way that I did when I first got the XT, and for the subsequent update. The page specifically shows image of the XT on the left hand side, and labels the page as for the XT. But technical support were clearly indicating to me that this was the way that I should be able to do it, and I was indicating to him that I knew that, but the facility had been removed in the latest version of Express.

I have lodged the 2 screen shots below as a source of reference, because web pages can change, and my suspicion is that this page may change before long. I hope that I am wrong, but this omission may well be deliberate. In which case the Zumo XT for me will no longer be fit for purpose, and will no longer do what it's documentation says that it will do.

The images below have been reduced by the forum software, but if you right click and copy the image, it will allow you to paste a readable sized image into a document.
Install Maps to PC Instructions for XT P1.jpg
Install Maps to PC Instructions for XT P1.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 11808 times
Install Maps to PC Instructions for XT P2.jpg
Install Maps to PC Instructions for XT P2.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 11808 times

Twin4Me
Great Britain

Post by Twin4Me »

Thanks for putting this up, it's been really frustrating me not being able to do this when I always had in the past.

First off installed Version 7.8.0.0 of Garmin Express

HOWEVER

I followed the procedure, plugged my Garmin XT in, it shows as connected, asked to download maps, it tells me it's applying changes but then nothing happens, the progress bar doesn't move or any further activity?

Any suggestions of alternative ways to do this?

I installed Android file transfer so that I could see the XT as a drive. Can anyone tell me how to find and copy the maps off and then manually add them to my Basecamp?

There is nothing on the file structure that looks large enough to be a Map file?
Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 10.51.58.png
Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 10.51.58.png (104.65 KiB) Viewed 11163 times
Last edited by Twin4Me on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twin4Me
Great Britain

Post by Twin4Me »

OK, so having turned off and rebooted I checked Map Manager and discovered that the map does seem to have been installed on my computer.
I don't think Garmin really like Mac people!
Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 11.00.35.png
Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 11.00.35.png (170.28 KiB) Viewed 11163 times