Data Transfer Practices

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
BillL
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Data Transfer Practices

Post by BillL »

Hi,

I have just finished the NER BaseCamp Tutorials. Nice information and very well prepared. Even for a person that has stumbled around BaseCamp for 10 years or more. Thank you!

This question for the group centers around data transfer practices for moving between BaseCamp and the computer it runs on and the GPS.

The tutorials use the drag-and-drop method to transfer routes and, I presume, other waypoints that may not be included in a route to the GPS itself or its SD card from within BaseCamp. The tutorials also refer to the Transfer>Send to Device menu command inside BaseCamp.

Up until I read these tutorials, I had never used the drag-and-drop method. And I only used the Transfer>Receive from Device menu command to retrieve tracks.

I have always done my planning in a list in BaseCamp and then exported that list with the routes and waypoints to a .gpx file. I would then use the computer’s operating system to copy the .gpx file to the GPS’s Garmin folder. I would then import from the GPS itself the bits and pieces for a day’s use. Map would reside on SD card.

This practice was used in order to maximize memory in the Zumo 550 for storing tracks.

So, the basic question for the experts is are there any right or wrong ways or caveats to the various methods to get data across to the GPS and then into the area of memory used for navigation?

Up until a couple weeks ago, all my experience is with a 550. I now own a 595. My miserly memory management practices will die hard as has been discussed some in another thread.

As always, thank you for all discussion and input.

Moderators, if this post is not properly located, please move it.

Bill
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: Data Transfer Practices

Post by Breezly »

I don't think there is any particular right or wrong way. I personally use the transfer function within BC as it involves fewer steps than exporting and copying. I also can't think of a single time I've transferred an entire list. I always have more in the list than I want on the GPS.

In BC there are several ways to accomplish just about every function, for example pull down menus vs keyboard shortcuts. This is both a blessing and curse at the same time. It means BC can be used in a way that fits your habits well, but adds a bit to the complexity.

One of the things I stress when I teach BC is that we will cover one method, but as the students get more proficient they may find another method more to their liking.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Here's what I prefer, though all these methods have their pros and cons and all work.

Export individual routes in my list to the desktop, not the whole list at once. Why? To allow sorting and placing them on my SD card so they are easy to find on the road in my 660.

Then I use a text editor to change the route names to further control the order of display in the zumo import menu:
<rte>
<name>002. Fairwinds to Hebridean via Canso</name>

I use a fake route file as a divider so that all my other routes, not being used on this trip, stay below this line:
<rte>
<name>AAA===========</name>

Last step, I drag the edited files onto my SD card.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I use nothing BUT the drag and drop method because I put all my routes on the SD card exclusively. I import a route when needed then delete the route from the device memory when done with it. Deleting from the device memory does not delete from the SD card so common routes for lunch with a buddy is always available but never consuming device internal memory. I learned this from an old nuvi that didn't have enough internal memory for maps. Putting routes in there made it worse.

Using the SD card exclusively for routes allows for two luxuries:

- sharing the route via SD card. Pop it out of mine and into someone else's gps device and import. Done;
- different SD cards for different areas. An organized library of sorts.

I never use a track for anything, only routes.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I simply highlight the data I want to send to my device, right click and then select Send to ...