BaseCamp - Basecamp version 4.8.8 for Mac update - Now a route shaping tool problem

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Wapping
Great Britain

BaseCamp - Basecamp version 4.8.8 for Mac update - Now a route shaping tool problem

Post by Wapping »

I'd like to think myself an experienced BaseCamp for Mac user.

Since the very recent 4.8.8 update to mend BaseCamp for Mac, I cannot get the route shaping tool to work at all.

To create routes, I ask BaseCamp to give me A to B, which it does according to my preference settings. I then use the route shaping tool to shape the route, ensuring that it then takes the roads I want to take, not those created by the software. In short, the route shaping tool no longer functions. I have tried dragging old routes, with no success. I have tried creating fresh routes A to B and then dragging them, again with no success.

I did receive a pop-up box, asking me if I wanted to change the route, which is something I cannot ever recall seeing before. So, I said, yes. All I get now is a strange square box outline, rather like the box you see when you use the magnifying glass tool to zoom into an area.

Put it another way, the 'Drag the route' tool, no longer seems to work.
Wapping
Great Britain

Re: BaseCamp - Basecamp version 4.8.8 for Mac update - Now a route shaping tool problem

Post by Wapping »

Update....

I have found that if I exit BaseCamp completely, then reopen it, I can use the shaping tool on a new route, all be it unreliably. If I then select an old route and then come back into the new route, there is a significant delay before the route shaping tool functions. Then sometimes it will work and at other times not.

From what was a very reliable tool, it does seem to have become unstable and responds unreliably.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Re: BaseCamp - Basecamp version 4.8.8 for Mac update - Now a route shaping tool problem

Post by danham »

Which Mac OS? I am not seeing this problem with 4.8.8 on my system:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Wapping
Great Britain

Post by Wapping »

macOS Catalina, version 10.15.3

iMac (Retina 5k, 27 inch, 2019)

I am sure the route shaping tool used to be very fast and reliable; it now seems very flakey.

If I use the hand icon I can drag a route without holding the option key. I have always been able to do that but found it annoying as it means it is possible a drag a route without realising, especially when you might have a lot or routes very close together in one list or folder, when all you want to do is shift the map about.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Looks like Garmin once again neglected to test using Catalina. Sigh.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Wapping
Great Britain

Post by Wapping »

I have logged the problem with Garmin Europe.
Wapping
Great Britain

Post by Wapping »

Giving it a bit more thought, I have come to the conclusion that (after all these years) I have been using the arrow map tool incorrectly, as its use is meant for selecting / identifying routes and points on a map, which indeed I have used it for many times. I have just been using it to shape routes too, using the 'elastic band' method. It just worked for me, so I never gave it much thought.

The 'hand / option' key alternative, does seem all but 100% reliable, so I guess I'll just have to change.
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

I'm not seeing any change after the update, everything (so far) is working as it should. iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), Catalina 10.15.3.
I've always used the selection tool (arrow) to modify routes as the OP describes.
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

I string a point from A to B. Then use the “Insert” tool to get the route to rubberband to where I want it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk