what device?

None Zumo related? then feel free to chat about it here anything goes.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

what device?

Post by advnzer »

I have never had a gps on a bike.My riding is purely recreational now.Sometimes i take it to work,i play a tag game,and just day rides over the weekend.However i am seriously contemplating a all weekend ride over a long weekend which requires me to do 2000 km AND navigate a certain set of waypoints within a 48 hour period.A gps is not absolutely required but it will certainlyy help.
so what device do i get? Montana,276 or 396or 595?.It has to be a garmin as i run NZ open street maps.I will probably just run with a wired earphone.I dont do music on the bike.
I have already built a route in basecamp
Moose
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: what device?

Post by Moose »

if your asking a choice why not just get the latest and greatest if you can I chose the 595 and you could use basecamp to nav.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I posted in the other thread, didn't find this one until later. You have nuvis, why not use one of them if you can find a mount cradle and a power cable? I used a nuvi 780 on my bike for 10 yrs, when I had to replace the digitizer I also bought a 595. At the very least use it to figure out the mounting location, power requirements, etc. It took me several different tries to decide where I like it to be. With the nuvi, I just slipped in into a sandwich baggie when it rained, worked fine!
Attachments
DSCN2781.JPG
DSCN2781.JPG (97.55 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
DSCN2782.JPG
DSCN2782.JPG (93.12 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
DSCN1113.JPG
DSCN1113.JPG (129.47 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm With the nuvi, I just slipped in into a sandwich baggie when it rained, worked fine!
I used to use a Nuvi 360, however a very wet ride through France convinced me to 'splash out' on a Zumo.
Problem I had was the plastic bag fogged up on the inside, and the bulldog clip I used to keep the bag tight activated the traffic info, I guess it acted as an antenna, which at regular, usually inconvenient, intervals popped up with a message on screen telling me how to subscribe to the service, which obscures the screen until cancelled.
The other disappointment was spending several evenings planning a tour on Basecamp (or was it the BC predecessor...?) only to find the Nuvi doesn't accept uploaded routes.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That nuvi didn't but many do, indeed most of the latest nuvi and drive models do, it's rare nowadays to find one that doesn't accept routes.
advnzer
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

I think any nuvi with the "trip planner" will accept routes from basecamp or maybe other apps but in my exerience it may not be the same on the nuvi as it was in basecamp..My last long route was automatically split into two
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That can happen as there is a limit to the number of points allowed per device, actual number depends on the device.