What do you do to pay the bills?

None Zumo related? then feel free to chat about it here anything goes.
RICH BEE
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: What do you do to pay the bills?

Post by RICH BEE »

I'm an aircraft engineer and have been for the last 41 years, but soon to retire and ride more routes.
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Doing the resurrection shuffle to this thread....

I started off at sea, navigation cadet with P&O general cargo division and RNR. Then came ashore to go farming, but I had already started to get a reasonable return from my photography by supply stock to picture libraries, this was in the days of E6 film (Fuji) or Kodachrome 64. That progressed so I turned full time photographer in 1985. I learned to write and supplied magazines all over the world with feature stories, both words and pictures. Mostly transport subjects and the air industry, I did a fair bit for American Airlines and Continental Airlines, which was handy as it gave me free flights around the world to do motorbike, truck/lorry, boating, fishing or hunting pieces! I still do some for a couple of magazines that are still going strong, but the writing is on the wall. Now I supply safety boat cover for construction types that are working over deep water, bridge works or renovations mostly. This kind of thing:
280590654_10221161954390441_6798953309413518279_n.jpg
280590654_10221161954390441_6798953309413518279_n.jpg (533.68 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just found this discussion. What interesting reading. As for what I do to pay the bills... Nothing! My first 8 years out of school were in restaurant management for a large corporation. It ended up being too much pressure and too many hours. I then went to work for a commercial general contractor as a laborer during the day while going to school at night studying computers. That contracting gig gave me experience in framing, roofing, concrete, and drywall which I will be forever grateful for. School was a two year program after which I went to work for a food service equipment sales company. I was hired to computerize a branch office. The branch manager became disgruntled with the company so started his own competitive company; I was asked to be one of the founding 5 employees. I was the Office Manager, the accounting department, the IT department, and the HR department. Twenty-two years later the company had grown to the point that I had to hire someone to take on some of the accounting and IT work. Eight years after that I retired. That was 2 years ago. I now spend time long distance touring with my wife, providing support and doing beta testing for an email client, being attentive to a number of forums, and doing motorcycle and home repair/maintenance projects.

At age 67 I am in a place that I never expected to be in...retired, happy, healthy, with an empty motorcycle destination bucket list, most of them reached on a Honda Goldwing with my supportive and adored wife on the pillion.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
chris7444
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

Post by chris7444 »

I started as a software developer writing software for a company making microchips (CPUs, memory etc). Then managed the IT operations of a small datacenter . Moved again (shortly) to an engineering job then a presales job (answering RFPs, the technical part of the proposals). Then the last 4 years back to software dev ("cloud" stuff) because the presales work was too much stress for me in the end (and too many travels). I was lucky enough because I was never without a job. I am now retired and I am 63yo